2007-09-21

I Love You



I got a consolation prize of a RM5 voucher from AUGUST MERDEKA&BIRTHDAY CONTEST that had by Valuebookshop.

I used it to buy the book "No, David!" by David Shannon from Valuebookshop.

I read to April on the night when I received the book.
April listened and paid full attention while I was reading page by page.




  • "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar.
  • David has tracked mud into is living room.
  • "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom.
  • "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street
  • " Not in the house, David!" as he was breaking household items while playing baseball inside the house.
  • "That's enough" stuff his mouth full of food.
  • "Settle down" he jumped on the bed.
  • etc.
  • Finally, a broken vase leads to banishment to a chair in the corner and a tear on the cheek, which leads to a motherly hug and the best affirmation of all? "Yes, David...I love you!"

When I read till the last page, I could feel that April was holding her breath. Her eyes became red, and she smiled and held my arm in both her hands. I'm glad that I have chosen the right book for her, as she has given me the most touching response.

Besides, the vigorous and wacky full-color acrylic paintings portray a lively and imaginative boy whose stick-figure body conveys every nuance of anger, exuberance, defiance, and, best of all, the reassurance of his mother's unconditional love. This book is perfect for reading aloud. Children age 3-4 will relish the deliciously bad behavior and the warm and cuddly conclusion.

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful to hear that the book was enjoyed by both of you. Which goes to show, in the end, all our kids want to know that they are loved despite all their naughtiness ;)

    ReplyDelete