2009-07-22

Fish fin melon or spaghetti squash

Finally, I asked my MIL about the melon that I mentioned in my earlier blog. My MIL told me that it called 鱼翅瓜. When I googled it, and I found this.

The spaghetti squash (Cucurbita pepo) (also called vegetable spaghetti, noodle squash, spaghetti marrow (in the UK) , squaghetti or fish fin melon (鱼翅瓜) in Chinese) is an oblong seed-bearing variety of winter squash. The fruit can range either from ivory to yellow or orange in color or green with white streaks. Its center contains many large squash seeds. Its flesh is bright yellow, and orange or white for the latter variety. When raw, the flesh is solid and similar to other raw squash; when cooked, the flesh falls away from the fruit in ribbons or strands like spaghetti or shark's fin (when cooked in a soup form). Spaghetti squash can be baked, boiled or steamed, and served with sauce as pasta, or used as a vegetable base for macaroni and cheese. Spaghetti squash contains many nutrients including folic acid, potassium, vitamin A, and beta carotene. It is also a food low in calories, averaging 75 calories in 8 cooked ounces. It is a cultivar originating in China.

3 comments:

  1. Does it taste like fish fin? Hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,
    It doesn't taste like shark fin at all. All its taste goes into soup, and the soup is sweet and tasted well. The melon became tasteless after cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

    ReplyDelete