Nyonya Desert - Onde Onde

05:01 Yannie 7 Comments

Sweet potato and coconut balls (onde onde)

Ingredients
2 sweet potato, mashed
1 - 1 /2 cups glutinous rice flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup grated young coconut, mix with a pinch of salt to taste

Preparation
Steamed the sweet potato, and skinned and mashed it when it cooked.
Mix glutinous rice flour by hand with sweet potato, knead into smooth dough. Roll and cut into 2 cm pieces, form into small balls. Mix together the 2 sugars. Flatten the potato and rice flour dough balls into circles in the palm of your hand, place a teaspoon of sugar mixture in the centre and fold up the sides of the dough to re-form a ball.
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, drop in a few flour balls and when they float to the surface, remove, drain and roll in coconut mix.
Continue the process until you have cooked all the balls. They are best eaten at room temperature as the sugar filling will remain liquid.
However, I have to keep them in a container and put inside the refrigerator. As I have promised my colleagues to let them have a try on my first homemade onde-onde.
I hope they still taste well on tomorrow.
By the way, my onde onde wasn't green like the standard one. It was purple, as I used the purple color sweet potatoes. I read from somewhere. We can actually replace the sweet potato with pumpkin, and we will have the yellow color onde onde.

7 comments:

  1. yum yum!! finally you made onde onde!! hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Taste nice, except I prefer it to be sweeter. When is the pumpkin one coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the onde onde..really yummy...I like it...so when u make the pumpkin flavor, please reserve 2 biji for me ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. Will definitely give everyone a try on my yellow onde-onde.

    ReplyDelete