2009-09-14

Pumpkin Onde Onde

My first attempt of making the purple sweet potatoes onde onde has received numerous good feedback. That has motivated me to try making the pumpkin onde onde.

Ingredients:
300g pumpkin
250g Glutinous Rice Flour
20g Tapioca Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
150g Gula Melaka/Brown Sugar
350g Grated Coconut, only the white part

Steam grated coconut for 10 minutes, this step can make the coconut last better. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Set aside.
Peel the skin and remove the seeds of pumpkin. These macho hands of course not mine. Hubb helped in this step. Cut the pumpkin into cubes. Steam the pumpkin for 15minutes.Combine the flour and pumpkin to form a soft dough. Roll some dough to form a ball. Flatten it and place some chopped gula melaka/brown sugar in the center. Roll into a ball. Repeat till dough are used up. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Put the balls into the boiling water.Remove them when they float to the top. Drain and toll in grated coconut and serve.
I prefer the purple sweet potatoes onde onde than this. I couldn't taste the pumpkin as best as the sweet potatoes. May be it was due to too much flour that I put when using pumpkin. For those who had tried both type of onde onde, please tell me whether shall I proceed to make the normal pandan flavour onde onde next.

5 comments:

  1. hmm.. this pumpkin onde onde is not bad also. but i prefer the purple color one ;)
    thanks for the treat! hope to taste more of it.. hehe :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, i prefer the purple one..anyway both also taste great..thanks ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try making the normal pandan onde onde next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Pandan onde-onde, I'm waiting then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvonne, sure you won't bore with my onde onde. I scare after you take 3 types of my onde onde, you don't dare to buy onde onde for the rest of this year. Wakakak!

    ReplyDelete