Soup of the week: Chinese Yam(山药)

07:32 Yannie 5 Comments

I usually went to Friday night market to shop for all the vegetables that I was going to cook in the weekend. I bought a very nice and fresh Chinese Yam this round to boil soup.
Chinese yam is a root that is used in traditional Chinese medicine. Other names for Chinese yam include dioscorea and shan yao(山药). Chinese yam is native to China, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan, where it can be found growing wild on hill slopes and in valleys. It is also propagated for medicinal and dietary uses. I made some studies on it and found out that Chinese yam plants take three or four years to reach maturity and it is dug up in the winter, this is the reason why it sells at a good price even in night market.
Ingredients are lean pork meat, Chinese Yam, red dates and wolf berries. Salt to taste.
Besides the soup, I deep fried chicken, fried long beans with eggs, stir fried cabbage and carrot with dried shrimps. Due to all the fried food, I also boiled a big mug of Chrysanthemum tea for my girls to reduce the heat..
When my children were still rather small, I just boiled them a soup each meal to go with rice. When they grew up a little bit more, I boiled them a soup and stir fried a type of veggie only.
When they are now in their preschool, I'll boil a soup and cook up to 2 or 3 dishes each meal.
I am now more and more professional to be a housewife already. By the way, housewives also got professional and non professional one? I am a bit lost already.
General Use of Chinese Yam
Chinese yam contains large amounts of mucilage. Mucilage is a thick, slimy substance produced by plants. It has a soothing effect on mucous membranes, such as the tissues that line the respiratory passages. This may explain why Chinese yam is effective at relieving cough .
Traditional Chinese medicine classifies Chinese yam as neutral and sweet. It serves to tonify and augment the spleen and stomach; augment the lung yin and tonify the lung qi; and stabilize, tonify, and bind the kidneys. Chinese yam enters through the spleen, lung, and kidney channels (meridians). It is used as a tonic (restores tone to tissues). Chinese yam is used to treat weak digestion with fatigue and diarrhea , general weakness, frequent urination, decreased appetite, leukorrhagia (excessive vaginal discharge), premature ejaculation, the symptoms associated with diabetes, and chronic wheezing (whistling sound caused by breathing difficulty) and coughing.

5 comments:

  1. yeah housewife also got professional and non professional type. The professional ones are like you , well planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sasha,

    Huh! You are flattering me. I'm not actually. When I used pork, I used it for all the dishes, when I used beans, I used beans for all the dishes, when I used eggs, I used eggs for all the dishes. Hahaha. But these were before, now I am getting better. Thanks for dropping your comment. I love your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there

    I am interested in chinese yam...i cant find them in jusco supermarket...and also quite rare to find it in wet markets..where did u get urs?? How much did u pay for tis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doroshi,

    I mostly got it from the wet market or pasar malam. It was quite expensive,but I forgot how much already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok thanks..yea is kinda exp and rare. :)

    ReplyDelete