2009-11-28

Steamed sweet potatoes

Sometime ago, my sister photostated a copy of slimming book for me. I haven't had time to read until last few weeks. There were many celebrities' diet tips found in the book. I personally attracted by Carina Lau Kar Ling's diet tips. She eats sweet potatoes everyday to substitute the rice. I am a person who can live without rice. Besides, I also like desserts which have sweet potatoes one.

When I went to the Friday pasar malam to get my weekends cooking ingredients, I saw a lot of Japanese sweet potatoes being sold in the stall. Carina's diet tips suddenly strike my mind. I quickly get some of them. So many of them only cost RM1. Damn cheap.
The skin is purple and the flesh is yellow. The taste is so sweet. I ate the steamed sweet potatoes for my lunch. The outcome was I went to poo twice on the next day. I quickly weighed myself after the 2 rounds of toilet visits, and I couldn't believe it at all, I lost the stubborn 1kg. I think I have to buy more sweet potatoes on this coming Friday.

Health Benefits of Sweet Potato :

Sweet potato is rich in Vitamin A (betacarotene) and Vitamin C. Both Vitamins A and C are powerful antioxidants that work in the body to remove free radicals, this free radicals are chemicals that damage cells.

Sweet potato is good for stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions of the colon.

It is beneficial for low blood pressure.

May be helpful for hemorrhoid because of its high fiber content.

Sweet potato is a good food for people involved in heavy muscular work, since this food is high in vitamins and minerals.

Sweet potato may help prevent cancer in glands and organs with epithelial tissue due to its high Vitamin A content.

Sweet potato is a good food for diabetics, because it helped stabilize blood sugar levels.

Nutritive Values : Per 100 gm.
Vitamin A : 7,700 I.U.
Vitamin B : Thiamine .09 mg.;
Riboflavin : .05 mg.
Niacin : .6 mg.
Vitamin C : 22 mg.
Calcium : 30 mg.
Iron : .7 mg.
Phosphorus : 49 mg.
Potassium : 300 mg.
Fat : .7 gm.
Carbohydrates : 27.9 gm.
Protein : 1.8 gm.
Calories : 123

3 comments:

  1. I thought sweet potatoes are high in carbs? In the Atkins diet, sweet potatoes and potatoes are banned coz they are sweet and high in sugar. But glad that it worked on you. Drinking hot green tea can also help you shed some weight. I drink it everyday. Hey, u r so slim, why wanna lose more weight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shireen,

    I was so scared after reading your comment. I quickly googles for "Can sweet potatoes make you fat?". The answer is NO. Thank God.

    http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/natural-weight-loss-food-sweet-
    potatoes-ga.htm

    I'm tall that is why you don't notice that I'm fat. I have 2 kg to back to my weight before I had kids.

    One more thing, I'm tall, if I'm fat a bit, I will look like Godzila or Giant. T___T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, but where can i get these sweet potato? i already bought few types of potatoes including the one with the name Japan sweet potato, but the taste wasn't sweet at all..

    ReplyDelete