2010-07-19

Juice: Dragon fruit with milk

I got myself a Juice recipe book recently. I found the page of making dragon fruit juice with milk. I like everything with milk currently.
My husband didn't really fancy this juice. I slurped all in my stomach. I like dragon fruit very much, as it is rich in Vitamin C and Fiber.

Dragon Fruit Nutrition.

Dragon fruit, also known as pitahaya or pitaya, is the fruit of a cactus and is as beautiful as it is delicious and nutritious. The color of dragon fruit varies from bright yellow to deep magenta. The oval-shaped fruit is about the size of an orange and is covered with spike formations, giving it its dragon nickname. The inside of the fruit is filled with a sweet, semi-translucent pulp and tiny black edible seeds.

Vitamin C
Dragon fruit is a fabulous source of vitamin C, with just 100 grams of dried dragon fruit or one piece of fresh fruit fulfilling almost 50 percent of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's recommended daily intake. Vitamin C is an important immune system support and can even help to shorten the duration and severity of the common cold.

Antioxidants
Dragon fruit is packed full of antioxidants, which work to protect the body's cells from damage caused by free radicals that can speed aging and even form cancerous tissues.

Fiber
For those trying to increase their daily fiber intake, dragon fruit can be a sweet alternative. About half of a large dragon fruit, or 100 grams, can contain up to 1 gram of fiber, while each 100 grams of dried fruit can have more than 10 grams of fiber.

Fat and Cholesterol
Dragon fruit contains numerous tiny, edible seeds, which means it does have some fat. Because the black seeds are so small, removal from the pulpy flesh of the fruit is difficult and requires straining. The majority of fat found in dragon fruit is monounsaturated fat, which generally is considered a healthier form of fat. While many people working to lower cholesterol are concerned about seeds and nuts, dragon fruit can be added to a healthy diet without concern of affecting cholesterol levels.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sheoh Yan, ha ha, I think like your hubby, I'll take a pass at drinking this with milk....just the fruit, okay. But have not gone overboard for it, even though sold here.

    No wonder you having a figure the envy of most women, ha ha, what I call, a model's figure'...
    Wayyyyy to go, Sheoh Yan, stay fit, stay healthy and have fun. Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like dragon fruit juice too! But we lady should not take this during menses, as it's quite 'cold' for our body...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dragon fruit too... I used to mixed it with apple, oatmeal and soya powder. It taste delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..dragon is good to relieve constipation. Once I almost everyday feed my daughter with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to eat dragonfruit,even my son also love it.
    But I never drink dragon fruit juice.
    So far, I only try to make jelly with dragon fruit and it taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i just drank this last night.. this morning all reddish! yucks! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take it with a squeeze of lemon juice. Delicious!! Shall try it with milk when I get some

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fruit juices with milk. So far haven't tried it with red dragon fruit yet. Nice ar? Cos the fruit doesn't have much taste and flavour on its own. I usually use it as a natural colouring to make jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm...now I feel like having a glass :D hey, i read somewhere that it's hard to get rid of the dragonfruit seeds in our stomach. wonder if it's true. i let ashley eat this fruit about twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't quite like this fruit but my son loves it. The colour scare me off. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to eat Dragon fruit too but the mixture with milk sounds a bit too "special" to try (for me), hehe :-) Anyway, thx for providing the nutrition of a Dragon fruit!

    Dora

    ReplyDelete