2010-10-22

Soup: Bitter Gourd and Carrot soup

This was my first time boiling bitter gourd soup. I also added in carrot, red dates and pork ribs. Before this, I dared not try cooking bitter gourd at all, as I worried that April and May might find it too bitter to taste.  One day, I saw my MIL cooked bitter gourd soup and my daughters were happily taking it with rice, then I knew that they like this soup.  Next time, I want to boil bitter gourd and preserved SzeChuan vegetable with pork soup.

Nutrition Benefits of Eating Bitter Gourd


  • Bitter gourd has been associated with lowering sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes.
  • Bitter gourd is said to be helpful in fighting against cancer and a number of infections.  
  • Bitter gourd has been known to provide relief from constipation and is also effective in the treatment of psoriasis.  
  • Bitter gourd helps in improving circulation and in turn, generates slimming effects on the body.  
  • Regular consumption of bitter gourd has been associated with prevention as well as treatment of hypertension.  
  • Bitter gourd is believed to be helpful in preventing eye complications, apart from treating neuritis.  
  • The juice of the leaf of bitter gourd plant has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of alcoholism. 
  • The essential vitamins and minerals present in bitter gourd help in treating defective metabolism of carbohydrates.  
  • The bitter tonic properties of bitter gourd have made it effective as a blood purifier.  
  • Fresh juice of bitter gourd is good for patients suffering from piles. 

11 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love bitter gourd cooked in whatever style except for the Indian style where they fry until hangus. Me too, I still dare not cook bitter gourd soup for now for the same reason as you - scared my Juan Or won't take it becos I normally add soup into his rice (he likes eating rice soaked with Chinese soup).

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So how was your princesses verdict? Needless to say, they must have love it to bits!

    I heard of bitter gourd juice good for controlling diabetes too, but never know it can alleviate piles, thanks for sharing! I must try to let the whole family consume more bitter gout frpm now on, even 'ta pau' also order bitter gourd dish!^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typo error: bitter gourd lar~=_=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like bitter gourd, my mum told me they're good at giving us good skin complexion.. hehe.
    And your bowl of bitter gourd soup looks yummy and healthy, I bet they dont have MSG like those selling at hawker stalls...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bitter gourd soup with szechuan preserved vegetable tastes nice. But does the soup of bitter gourd alone turn out bitter? You know I don't take bitter gourd because it's bitter :p My taste bud prefers sweet things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bitter gourd soup but never like to eat bitter gourd. haha...funny ya. But I don't mind the bitter taste of the soup. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to hate bitter gourd until recent years when I realised its health benefits and ability to relieve heatiness from the body .. but I like them sliced very very thinly and cook in soup ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hubby and I are bitter gourd's lover, not our daughter Shenny. Whenever she sees me pick up a bitter gourd into our shopping trolley, she always likes to stop me to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved bittergourd since I was a kid! Your soup looks very healthy and yummy... very "ching" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never try cooking bitter gourd soup before.. You know what? The other day my hub ask me to cook bitter gourd soup and I tell him I dont know how to cook it, hehe! This recipe will be use as my first attempt cooking bitter gourd soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like bitter gourd. Yikes..bitter. Maybe she cook one day day and see how Gwen reacts..hehe.

    ReplyDelete