2011-03-10

For better

Folks, I really appreciate your comments, thoughts, supports that you gave me in my previous entry.
My FB friends dropped me a lot of valuable inputs on my FB wall and also private message. A colleague also called up to share with me her experiences with her kids.

There were a few remarks, which really touched my heart and got me into deep thinking. I would like to compile those remarks here as my future reference.

1. Instead of scolding and punishment, give children a lot of motivation and encouragement - Mummy Moon , Uncle Lee.

2. Learn looking at the bright side and good points of children, and allow them to make mistake and learn from mistake - a group of my ex-schoolmates like Valerie, Casey, Chong Chee and Lee Peng.

3. Even though as parents we want our children to score As in school, but more importantly is that they grow up to be responsible, trustworthy, caring, independent adults who can get along with everybody and have good work ethics. We want them to be strong when facing adversity and be resourceful enough to solve whatever problems come their way - AiLian 

4. Parents ought to control the emotion well, and give only positive reaction to children. When we are upset, we have to try focusing on how to help children overcoming their weakness, but not focusing on the marks - Su Yeah (my ex-course mate) 

5. Should not give ourselves and children too much pressure, and do not push them too hard. - Broccoli GingerBarbara, Joanne

Once again, thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts with me. I am really grateful.

I have discussed with April on why I was angry, why I was disappointed, what was wrong with me, what was wrong with her, what she learns from this, what I learn from this, how I can do better and how she can do better, and etc. We hugged, kissed and said "I love you" before turning the light off.

13 comments:

  1. great to know that you are feeling better and April is all smiles again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that April and you are alright now!
    No need to thanks, that's what friends do! ;)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! :) So happy to hear both of you patched up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, now oni i read ur blog about the scores. man, 98% is very high already. ur expectation is really too high for a kid.

    im the opposite one, when yinyue was in her 4-year-old class in her previous kindy, she got 98% for her english paper, minus 2 marks for mistake. came home showed me the paper. i was so happy n excited n praised her that she got very high score. after that, i explained why the minus the 2 marks. she pulak sad that she didn't get 100%, and immediately wanted to correct her mistake on the test paper.

    小时了了,大未必佳. i don't always focus on the end result (scores) but the process of learning. many successful people worldwide are school drop out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have discussed with April on why I was angry, why I was disappointed, what was wrong with me, what was wrong with her, what she learns from this, what I learn from this, how I can do better and how she can do better, and etc. We hugged, kissed and said "I love you" before turning the light off.

    I feel so good to read the last part! I am sure you and April are now more understanding each others. Great achievement ahead girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know you and April are happy again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good points.. motivated me.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yalor, it's always good to learn and gain support from each other! Glad that you have found a better solution!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thing that matter is, both of you realize and learn from mistakes. Glad that you patched up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear this...have a nice weekend with your family

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was touch ... and glad u make up and openly talk to April about what her wrong and what yours wrong ... this is good , this make u both have a even strong bonding and relationship ...

    anyway, hv a great weekend with the girls ya ...take k

    ReplyDelete
  12. About your last paragraph....that's 'self-reflection' which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete