2011-03-16

Homemade healthy jelly

PIL took leave from taking care of their grand children and away to KL for attending relative wedding. Hence, I also took leave to be a temporary home maker for 3 continuous days. Other than busy driving them out to tuition, art class, table tennis games and UCMas lesson, I also managed to spend some quality time with them at home.

Since God gifted me 2 princesses, I must get them into the kitchen more. I planned some very simple activity for them to do. I decided to make Konnyaku jelly with them.
When the kids engaged with their learning activities out of the house, I took some ME time to shop for jelly moulds. I invested in 4 different jelly moulds.
I also went and hunted for kiwi fruit, dragon fruit, plum fruit, grapes, and oranges. While waiting for them to come back, I cut the fruit into cubes and left only grapes.
I taught April how to cut the grapes and remove the seeds. She did it well and managed to cut the grapes in proper size. I can trust her with knife now.
On the other hand, I had Little May to arrange the different type of cut fruit into the mould. At first, she did it quite well. Later, I could hear her munching on the fruit when I was busy stirring the jelly. Slap my forehead.
I was still not so comfortable for them to go near the stove. So, I was the one to mix the jelly powder and sugar, and add the mixture into the boil water in a pot. I had to continue stirring the mixture while boiling it, until all mixture was totally dissolved.
After boiling for about 8 minutes, the jelly was removed from fire and poured into the mould.  
While waiting for the jelly to become cold in the refrigerator, I let the girls indulge in ice lollies which I bought from Guardian. My girls were yelling at the two very cute Hello Kitty tattoo stickers that they found inside the packing.
These were my first attempt of homemade healthy jelly. Why I said so? Because I use less sugar, more fruit, and no colouring. It definitely healthier than those jelly sold in the market, and my kids love these jellies to bits. They have indirectly taken in more fruit last 2 days, and this has helped their bowel movement a lot.

17 comments:

  1. Ur homemade jelly really look cute and tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet treat Yan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those fruit jelly... and I haven't got enough :p
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and cute jellies...can uncle have some?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and yummy jellies. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummylicious especially for these warm and stuffy days!!! Great job April and May, well done mommy!


    p/s: You even got the Mickey head mould, impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey.. l love these springy jellies.. i wanna do too...one day.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your Mickey Mouse jelly mould :) Ya, nothing beats our own homemade healthy fruit jellies. Somehow, I always fail when making konnyaku jelly. Always tak jadi :( but when I make the normal jelly, it turns out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you enjoy being a full time mummy to your 2 princess!! Nice jelly with lotsa fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy yummy... ur 2 little helpers did a great job leh :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My girls love Konnyaku jellies too! What flavor did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job for Mummy, April and May! Yes, I agree, this fruit-stuffed jelly is a good way of getting kids to eat more fruits. By the way, I also have the Mickey Mouse jelly mould exactly like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. next time tau pau some for me ya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm...now i feel like having some konnyaku jelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. a great way to make kids eat fruits. Nice jelly and great bonding time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi, mind to email me where you brought the mickey jelly mould? I have been hunting around for long time. Thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking for the Mickey Mouse mould too >< please email me where can I buy it ? (zoeymun@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete