2011-05-24

Something worth pondering

April has great improvement in her mid term Primary 1 exam in May. She scored flying colours in all subjects.

She showed no more careless mistake, and she performed thorough checking on all papers. All my sleep loss, pressure, heart ache which I have described here were all worth it.

I kept telling April that I don't mind her scoring lower than 90% or 80%, if the questions are really tough for her. I will really mind if she making careless mistake on simple questions.
April is overjoyed and excited over her own achievement this time. I am not forgetting to remind her to be humble and keep up her good work.

April also shared with me on how her other classmates doing in the exam. There was something that she mentioned got me into pondering. There is one boy (CTH) who, the top student in her class and also the whole form in the previous exam in March, scored only 90% in Moral paper this time. This surprised not only their Moral teacher, but many teachers. There was one question that everyone did correct, including those poor result students, but CTH did wrong.

The question was narrated in a picture of a dining table after meal. The subsequent action was given in 2 choices, (A) Going into living room and watching TV or  (B) Helping cleaning up the dining table. Obviously, CTH chose A. When their form teacher queried him about his choice, he answered  that he was instructed by his caregiver to go watching TV after meal, and he was not allowed to go into the dining room again.

Apparently, CTH is staying with his Aunt ( his father's sister) and Grandma. His parents are working at outstation. His Aunt and Grandma love CTH very much, as he is the only child in the house. His responsibility is only studying well and his leisure is only watching TV.

I stop  here, the rest I leave to you folks to ponder.

I have just started to let April brush and wash her own white shoes on weekends. I should reckon myself paying attention on moral values at home by loading my children with responsibility, or just being a lazy mum.

23 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Children should learn to share responsibilities at home with family. :) I am so glad to see you letting April to wash her own shoes which many mommies out there are doing it themselves. Which I think is absolutely WRONG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, April! It's good to start the kids young to help out in household chores. I too, started Ian to wash his own school shoes not long ago and he is also assigned to be the garbage boy.. to take rubbish bags out to the central which is on the same floor. *bad mommy* hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. COngratulations, April! You sure have learnt your lessons (both at school and at home) well and as a result made your mum and yourself very happy and satisfied with your acheivements. CTH answered it 'wrongly' simply becos it is his norm at home so much so he didn't see it as something 'wrong' or 'improper'. LOL.....can't blame it on an innocent child. Anyway, I'm sure his Aunt and Grandma probably have their own reasons for not wanting CTH to get his hands dirty into housework. But I fully support your effort to get your daughters to be involved in housework. It will make them be more responsible and next time when they are big, they know how to help out even without being told. I'll do the same for my Juan Or too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to April on her improved achievement! And bravo for starting her young to help out at home. I like to think that I train my children with chores and responsibility to prepare them to the real world. I might not be able to be by their side forever. So it's better that they can take care of themselves well, rather than depend on others.

    About CTH, he is one lucky kid who is being (over) loved by his caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But then.... every parent and caregiver tends to over love his/her child, right :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done April! I think it's a good practice to let her wash her own shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many children are pampered nowadays. Good to get them to help out in housework...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like my girl to see this pic.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done to the lovely April,, now back to the CTH question.....we cannot fault that boy with that question, just because everyone thinks that's wrong, sadly may be he was told that that was wrong hahahhaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yan, you make me recall one of my own experience. When i was small, we sleep in air cond room, so mom told me CANNOT open window at night when we sleep. So happen that, once we had one question in our exam asking whether should we open our window at nite for better air circulation, i put NO! So at the end, i am wrong. We should open window and let air circulate....think of it, nowadays, most household with have air cond in the bedroom and some even whole house, so if such a question come out in the exam, guess how the children will answer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...something worth pondering indeed. He is just in a different situation. I think the teacher should hear him out and give him a point. Congrats on April doing well in her exams. You must be so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulation to April, she is such a brilliant child!(inherited your gene lar)

    You are right, what most important for a child is great moral value and self awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Must train them when young. My mum used to let us wash our own sock and shoes too...

    Well done to April !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm..this is really something we and all caregivers should ponder upon..

    I once wonder deep inside as well after I forbid the kids to pick up a tissue paper lying outside the lift for fear of catching any germs..but then immediately i was thinking..is this right? If in Moral objective question, surely wrong..but in practicality?

    Then i told them that it's good to pick up rubbish you saw but perhaps hold another tissue or plastic bag before picking it up as you are not sure whether that tissue contains sneezes from others :P and might catch the flu bugs..

    Mommies how would you all react in such scenario?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's important that children learn from a young age to help around the home. It is their home too. These are essential life skills that children should have, they will appreciate later in life. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! She's the most intelligent girl in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. well done to April :) you have taught her well :) i guess the boy doesn't know what he did was wrong since he's used to doing that. It is better if his caregivers were to train him to do housework rather than pampering him. who is going to do the work for him when he is an adult? his wife?

    ReplyDelete
  18. get the wwashing machine to wash the shoes :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to April on scoring so well in her exams. She is such a good girl. My sis and I used to wash all my brothers' school shoes. If I have a son, I would train him to do house chores as well too...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sheoh Yan, never too early get kids to take up some responsibilities.
    And congratulations to your daughter. She exceeded hers and your expectations. I'm sure she'll do better next exam.
    Nice pic she washing her shoes.
    Have fun, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. congratulations to April on the flying colors.. well that's a good point to ponder, and i always ask myself whether there is a so-called "correct" answer for Moral, i guess everyone thinks and perceive things differently, one man's meat could be another's poison right?? i always think it's the "most suitable" answer instead, and i don't see people who can score 100% in Moral is indeed better than those who get 60%..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks everyone for your input. Well said, folks. What Joanne and Alohamolly shared are also something worth to be pondered.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You raise and nurture your two girls very well, Yan. I always admire you for that. Both April and May are really helpful, mature and sensible kids. Glad to hear that April did well in her exams. Well done, April! I'm sure you have made your parents very proud.

    ReplyDelete