2011-07-07

Two moral values

Hi hi folks, in case you are wondering why I am being MIA. I am all around, not going any where. I am doing good with my kids, my husband and my activities. Everything is in routine, only a bit busy at work.

Recently, I have two moral values that make me ponder for a while. I have finally cleared up my mind with a conclusion after talking to my husband.

1. Lost and found

My 7 years old, April related excitedly to me on things that happened at school. She and her classmates found some coins at the field. They handed the coins to their Moral teacher happily.

I recalled my mother taught me on this matter when I was still a kid. My late mother's advice is to pass the money to teachers if the money was big and found inside the classroom, but if money was small and found outside the classroom, it isn't necessary to pass to teachers. So, I thought of telling the same thing to April.

My husband has other concerns. He worries that April is too young to know how much money is considered as big. Besides, she may confuse on the grey line between where she finds the money. He reckoned April and her classmates were right to hand the money to teacher. They sure gain a few points for good moral behaviour.  I agree with him.

2. True and false

We got April's report card last month, she was at the position of 1/96. I was very proud of her, so as her father, who involved more than me in her revision. To be frank here, I am very particular in my children's academy achievement. If it is within their capability, I want them to prove it in the exam. Call me a 'Kiasu mum' or a 'Tiger mum',  you like.

My Honest Boy of Inspired Momx1 made me ponder whether I should tell April what to do when teachers are making mistake in the marking. I wanted to tell her if her answer is correct, teachers mark as wrong, she has to go and check with teachers. On the other hand, if her answer is wrong, teachers mark as correct, she doesn't need to highlight to teachers.

When I was still puzzling, my husband reminded me hiding bad things and being selfish are not acceptable in Di Zi Gui values. We certainly do not want our kids to be the top in class, but zero in honesty. Good moral behaviour is thousand times better than good result.

Last night, I went to talk to April and put my arm around her. We both sitting on her bed, she lean on me. First, I praised her for finding the coin and passing it the teacher. I told her whatever things that she has found in her school, she mustn't bring home, instead she must immediately put it to Lost And Found folder, or give it to teachers. Second, I want her to be honest and truthful,  be it exercise lessons or exams, if she spots any mistake in marking, she must inform teachers. She nodded with a grin on her face.

To Inspired Momx1, it is very good that Ian is so honest.

人在做,天在看。(Who can help me translating this in good English?)

23 comments:

  1. very agree to these 2 morals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done April!
    It's always good to let them learn to be honest since young. Way to go~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought you go holiday again. Very good values to instil in your kids. Sorry can't translate - dunno chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to April for achieving 1st position in the whole standard. She's so multi-talented in arts, brilliant in her studies, has good moral values... all these are the result of good upbringing by her parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is very wise. I agree that being smart is nothing if you don't have good values.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with your hubs. honesty is the best :) both of you are teaching good values to your girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reckon that good values always come first in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sheoh Yan,
    honesty is still the best policy. that lesson taught will remain with them for years to come.
    人在做,天在看- the equivalent will be Heaven(God) sees what man( we) do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sheoh Yan,
    honesty is still the best policy. that lesson taught will remain with them for years to come.
    人在做,天在看- the equivalent will be Heaven(God) sees what man( we) do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to April for achieving No.1 position. Gosh..she is such a brilliant girl...thanks to mum and dad awesome teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. errr, i really think it's important how you communicate an unequivocal message to your girl.. don't create any grey areas - if she finds anything, whatever and wherever it is, that does not belong belong to her, just get her to bring it to the teacher.. and for the marking errors, just have to report any wrong or right.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the teacher marked wrong when she is right,by all means get her to talk to the teacher..........thank you for bringing up wonderful children,you know the world needs more children like that,otherwise ,,,,,,,,,sigh,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honesty is and always the best policy and yes agree with you 'sky got eyes'. My mama constantly tells us never to take things that dont belong to us. Congratz to April she is doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Congrats April! Excellent!!
    The other day, my kids and I found a RM5 note at the corridor, I didn't know what to do and what to tell him too! :P cos it's at the corridor..and I don't think I can find the owner. So, I just took it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. April is a very smart girl, kudos to her and keep up the good work... and good job to daddy & mummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sheoh Yan, good for you, good for your daughter....
    Teach, guide, show them the values of life, you will not go wrong.
    Kids learn not only by studying, but by observing too as well from examples.....

    Re money, I believe one one is to make children to learn the value of money is to start earning, and yes, even at their young age.
    They will pick up some business acumen too....

    Discuss, have a chat about money....then MAYBE, up to you....pay her for doing housework....earning pocket money to buy what she wants.
    Mopping, cleaning floor maybe few Ringgit, ha ha...
    Anyway, I guess you know what I mean.

    Making our kids earn their keep never go wrong, they will learn and appreciate....to learn to save if they want to buy something.
    But make sure they don't form a Union, go on strike, ha ha ha.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good values you instil in April. These days, not many parents take the effort to do that. Leave it all to the maids and see what their anak grow up to be?

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes, impress on her the values of honesty while she is still impressionable. parenting is never easy and one should always check oneself from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Yan, I am back after MIA for so long. Congrats on April's excellent result. I totally agree with you that honesty is one good moral value parents need to instill in our kids. At least I can trust him in whatever that he tells me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You taught your girl well Sheoh Yan, as I mentioned earlier, I always proud of April, keep up her good virtues!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did the right thing, Sheoh Yan, by having a talk with your daughter about handing over whatever item that doesn't belong to her to the teacher regardless of big or small value; and true, it is good virtue to inform teacher if the teacher has marked correct for a wrong answer.

    ReplyDelete