2011-09-06

Chocolate coated ice cream mooncake

I executed my very first plan on the Saturday before Hari Raya.  By getting the kids involved in the cooking is also a good way to encourage them to love the food.

Again, thanks Alice Law for the inspiration.

1. Boil to melt the cooking chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the mould. Freeze for 10 mins.

2. Scoop ice cream into the mould.  Freeze for an hour.
We actually went to a child's Birthday Party at my next door. We came back exactly an hour later.

3. I cover the top part with the left over chocolate.  Again, freeze for 10 mins.
Since it was quite late after the party, and we were very full, we didn't get to taste these chocolate ice-cream moon cakes until the next day.
They had fun making it and eating it.
I tasted one myself and felt that the chocolate was too thick coated. I definitely want to try again to make a thinner layer of chocolate next time.

Success rate: 50%.

19 comments:

  1. Good job @ 2 thumbs up. You can add a little whipping cream to melt with the chocolate, so that the chocolate won't be so thick and easier to pour in the mold. And it'll look glossy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe... practise makes perfect. I haven't lay a finger on my chocolate coated ice-cream mooncake. No mojo right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to try making this after reading Alice's post. Looks easy but I guess not that easy huh? Must remember not to put too thick layer of choc! Better success rate next time! At least your girls enjoyed making and eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid school break activities at home with ur gals...Practise makes perfect! From ur photos, u already made a success, keep it up ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, good job Yan~ Mission accomplished~ They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! one mission accomplished! Very good try. It's already successful to me when u see the kids look so happy and satisfied. can't wait to see your updates..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chocolate ice cream mooncakes look yummy. I'll bet my girls will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good and yummy to me. Hope your 2nd attempt will turn out better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh..i tried to make some too and like you, i find the choc too thick. i think i'm going to pour the choc into the mould, move it around to coat it and then pour them out again. Yours look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Practice makes perfect.. ice cream mooncake.. must be very nice... hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic idea. I must try this out. I'm sure my kids will love it as much as your kids. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay, you finally tried making this, i still have not tried this yet lah.. but then Alice ones are nice woh, hehehe, cos i can see some of your mickey mouse got "ripped off skins" showing the "flesh inside".. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of ice cream moon cake:D I can see your girls enjoyed making them and no doubt enjoy eating as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice to have the children involved. they have fun and at the same time learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad tht your kids enjoy making it!

    Yalor, I also find it tricky to get a thin layer of chocolate(especially the topping). I reckon we need to start more ice cream in order to get thinner layer of coating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also add 3 tbs of butter and 1/4 cup of whipping cream would help to dilute the chocolate(Recipe for chocolate ganache).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually would prefer the chocolate to be thicker so I would rate your success 80% :) Can't give you the remaining 20% until I taste it haha :p

    ReplyDelete