2011-10-14

Turn disappointment into ...

Since Monday until yesterday, April was sitting for her Primary One final exam, and today is the last day of May's kindergarten final exam.

However, there was something happened during the week. Monday, April related to me  the announcement that made by her headmaster in the school assembly excitedly. She told me that Astro Xiao Tai Yang is coming to her school this Saturday, so her headmaster wants Standard One to Standard Three students to submit a drawing individually by Friday (that means Today) . The drawing must have DaYang (Xiao Tai Yang's icon) in it.

I wasn't too happy to hear the news, as I wanted April to put her whole attention in her exam, and I was certainly afraid that the arrival of Xiao Tai Yang and the drawing activity will distort her focus in the exam. I forbid her to spend time in drawing. I kept loading her with workbook exercises and revision. I even blamed the school for arranging this type of activity during exam week.

Being an obedient daughter, April promised to forget totally about the drawing, though she was a bit disappointed.
Yesterday, when the exam was finally over, I knew April was going to be freed from studying. She can do whatever she likes. I went googling for the picture of the Xiao Tai Yang's icon (大阳).


I printed it out in black and white and I marked on the paper for its different parts of colours. I passed to April and asked her to draw a picture of Da Yang. At first, she didn't want to draw. She said that she had tried her best to let go the activity. She even claimed that it was too rush for her to finish it yesterday and submit it to the teacher today. 
I let her have a heads up on what is going on with the arrival of Astro Xiao Tai Yang at her school. I told her that the Xiao Tai Yang's camp is fun. I showed her through computer, and she finally wanted to give it a try. She spent almost 2 hours on her table, and this is her masterpiece, all on her own.
I sent it to her father, who was at work. He called back and said, "This is too beautiful."

I am glad that I finally motivated her to draw. She too, turns her disappointment into joy, opportunity and success.

Whether her drawing will be chosen by Astro Xiao Tai Yang, it doesn't matter anymore. She is the best for me and her papa.

27 comments:

  1. yes, the students should concentrate on the exams without any other distractions..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the school is just trying to please Astro with their request, else they are not going to the school and the school will miss the opportunity to get publicized..

    ReplyDelete
  3. anyway, i think that picture is very beautiful.. hopefully that can be chosen~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SK, thanks for dropping by so early. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her drawings are too beautiful! Good that you give her the motivation to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful drawing and a very important lesson learnt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea agree, it doesnt matter if they dont chose her drawing, she's already a winner in your eyes. The drawing is really really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. April's drawing is so lively and beautiful. I wish she gets chosen too. My sister's son attended Xiao Tai Yang's camp last year, his comment about the camp was very exciting and fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love her drawing. it is beautiful. Sheoh Yan, i really envy you. your girls are so obedient, smart and thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. She completed it within one day? Bravo, April. Hope lady luck is by her side and get to score some prizes home :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ian is the opposite. He told me last week he was chosen as one of the participants in his school's English story telling competition held last Friday but he turned it down simply because final exam started the following Monday and he had to do his revision.He didn't change his mind eventhough I assured him it's alright and I would train him in preparation for the competition. Guess this bad mom had transferred too much pre-exam stress onto him "exam=stress". :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are one very strict no nonsence mom! I hope her drawing will be selected. All the best April .

    ReplyDelete
  13. No wonder you are so proud of her. It is truly very beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. April's drawing is very beautiful! She's so talented and obedient. If i were you, I will allow her a short break and let her draw (also to let her de-stress) even during exam time. April is a smart girl. I'm sure she can manage and excel in both. Glad that she still had the chance to fulfill her passion of drawing for the event :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. mNhL, I am glad that I allowed her to do what she enjoys the most. Thanks.

    Kiddothings, thanks for the compliment.

    Hayley, thanks. I personally love this drawing of hers too.

    Shenny's Mommy, thanks, is that so? Then, I must make sure she goes to ther camp.

    Barb, thanks a lot, kids being kids, she also gives me problem sometimes.

    Yvonne, I hope she will win too. Thanks.

    Inspired Momx1, Ian is good boy too. He knows he shouldn't divert the attention and have additional stress during exam period.

    Johnnie, yes, I am a tiger mom. Thanks a lot.

    Carolyn, thanks a lot.

    Mummy's Chloe, thanks. I just do not want anything to be blamed during exam time. Luckily she had one free evening to fulfil her passion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Her drawing and painting are very good! Hope she can win but even if she doesn't, it does not matter. I really think she's got talent in her art. And she's a smart & good girl too. You're blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!~~~~~~ She really can draw very well!~ Love her drawing!~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shireen, thanks a lot.

    Prince n Princess mum, thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sheoh Yan, I think you have done a very good job cos firstly, you ensure she concentrates in the exam, then you encourage and motivates her to take part in the drawing.

    As long as she is talented, even last minute, she will be able to do it very well.

    You must be very proud of your girls.

    Little April, well done and I'm sure she will be selected.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a very nice piece of art with beautiful composition.Your daughter is very talented. From those vivid color and smiling butterflies, I'm sure April is a happy girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The picture April drew is fantastic! Perfect color combination! She is quite a little artist. The pride from mummy and daddy is a million times better than a prize from Astro! Please give April a big hug and tell her the Quay Po Aunty is very proud of her too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Little Kit Boy, thanks for the support.

    Yuin Ting, thanks for dropping by. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

    Quay Po Cooks, thanks for your heart warming message. I will sure tell April about it.

    Folks, April's drawing wasn't selected by the school to be in the finalist for Astro XTY camp today. She is sad, but I have told her that many aunties and uncles compliment her drawing beautiful in mummy's blog. She is all smile now. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. sheoh yan, it's actually nice to know that you let her participate in this..yes, after the exams. April can really draw, look at that creature, err what you call that.. the one with the face and spiky hair.. it looks exactly like in the one that you printed for her! she's talented! a girl with so many talents!!

    as for the pumpkin kuih, are you referring to the type that we see in vegetarian shop sometimes? i tried out once long time ago but not too satisfactory, until i get a nice texture, i will post it up. Meanwhile, if you are keen to make those, you can refer to my blogger friend, kristy for one of her recipes of this..http://kristygourmet.blogspot.com/2011/08/steamed-sweet-pumpkin-kuih.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. April, auntie really love your drawing. It's really beautiful. Don't be sad ok.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sheoh Yan, good for you. Nothing like some motivation from mummy to get things going.
    have fun and keep well.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice drawing! Love it~~

    ReplyDelete