2012-02-28

Sweet potato balls

Every time my two girls went to their art lesson for 2 hours, I will utilize this 2 hours slot to get sweat in the gym. This day, I sacrificed my happy hour at gym, I decided to stay at home and play Cooking Mama. I wasn't playing online game, ok. I was really cooking. Ever since they tried the sweet potato balls at Fong Lye Taiwan Cuisine, they started to love it, and I promised to make it for them. I got the recipe from here.
I bought a medium size orange colour flesh sweet potatoes. Peel the skin, cut into cubes, steam it for 30 minutes. Mash it and add in glutinous rice flour, corn flour, sugar, and salt. Mix everything with hands, and knead it well to form a smooth dough.
I rolled about hundred over balls that day without the help of my two girls.
Heat up oil in a wok. Lower the heat to medium or low fire. Don't put in too many balls at a time. They tend to stick together while frying. I put in 10 balls only at one time.
Fry until golden brown, remove from fire and  serve.
Be cautious of the heat. I almost burned my first batch of potato balls.
When my two girls returned from their art lesson, they indulged in cooking mama's sweet potato balls. They said that it tasted better than Fong Lye one. Cooking mama was at cloud 9. I also offered them the coconut drinks to wash away the heat of the deep fried food. When I checked on them again, they left only 10 balls on the plate for their Papa.

Due to taking too many sweet potato balls, my two girls were half full. I decided to cook something light for dinner.
I fried meehun with a can of roasted pork.
I also added in carrot and fish balls. If I didn't put in salt, I would be very satisfied with this fried meehun of me.

29 comments:

  1. Hmm, you really into cooking more often this year!
    Way to go Yan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yan i like the sweet potato balls and the fried meehun too. Good Job Yan

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, we tried the sweet potato balls at Fong Lye too. It is good! Ok, I will try on this recipe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wa Yan,
    looks good leh. spare some for me? ha ha. I loved bee hoon with the pork ribs. yummy. only once in a while. as canned food not so fresh la.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you are really working hard to keep to your new year's resolution. That's good. I'm sure there'll be many more cooking posts to come! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I want to try the potato balls. Since I have all the ingredients! :D Thanks for sharing! My saliva drooling already.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, so this is how you make the sweet potato balls!! wow, the girls left 10 for their dad?? meaning they had 50 balls each?? OMG~~ @_@

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum yum!! the fried beehoon looks very good!! hehe, one of my favorite food is fried beehoon, of any kind~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Used to eat this from the Petaling Street roadside stall. Mum used to cook sweet potato porridge. I love them.

    Your girls appreciate your hard work. Well done, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't get the chance to try this kueh of yours T____T Glutinous flour and corn flour as the main ingredients, other than sweet potato?? As simple as that?

    Btw, if your didn't mention that is fishballs in your beehoon I would have thought it was the leftover sweet potato balls :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done cooking mama :) Sweet potato balls are one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am super hungry now reading your blog,
    please responsible for the flood of my saliva! hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  13. yan, well done, so proud of you! more cooking to come , ya?! what's wrong with the meehoon? you mean you added too much salt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it turned out to be to salty for my children's liking.

      Delete
  14. YUMMY! This is one of my favorites! Looks really delicious & soooo tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sweet potato balls look so yummy! It's my favourite too. Your girls are so lucky to have a Cooking Mama. Pity my Chloe, who only has a Sitting Mama :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you are really a healthy person to be able to omit salt from your diet. But you need to add them or else the girls won't eat the mihun is it? When I had to boil porridge for Ethan, I had to add salt or he won't eat it :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, good job to you. I tried the Fong Lye ones but didn't like them coz I find them too starchy and no sweet potato taste. Yours look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. tiny sweet potato balls look cutesy there :) much better than those sold outside

    Latest: World Class Gourmet Gifts

    ReplyDelete
  19. 100+ sweet potato balls left only 10 balls...it shows that how delicious it is.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sheoh, the sweet potato balls look delicious and so is your fried bee hoon. Keep up the good work, hope to see more cooking from you.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Sheoh Yan, outstanding! I think 2 bowls of this lovely fish ball mee hoon would do me fine.
    So? What' next on the menu? Kai fun? Ha ha.
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kids sure love these sweet potato balls....see them buying outside my son's school....good business...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This mommy is really hardworking, not like the mommy who types this comment, a lazy bum! Haha... There's one stall somewhere in Petaling Street and their sweet balls sell like hotcakes, quite good, I must say, though a bit oily to my liking. Yours definitely looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just saw some sweet potatoes in supermarket this morning and tempted to buy some. Steamed sweet potatoes. But "tak jadi". hahahah!! Yummy sweet potato balls.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the way you cook the potatoes. I never thought of doing so. It means, the recipe is new to me. I should ask my wife to cook like this then. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete