My childhood memory with rattan products

11:38 Yannie 18 Comments

*edited,
So sorry that I have made a mistake. Thanks to Pete and Mummy's Chloe for telling me bamboo isn't rattan.

Last week, I was attracted by a store which sold all rattan stuffs in the market. When I went closer, I set my eyes on a small rocking chair and rocking horse. I was in dilemma which one to buy. I didn't bring enough money to get two. So, I paid RM 55 for the rocking chair and left for work.
I was still thinking to get another one, in case the sibling rivalry arises from the only rocking chair. Had a chat with Yvonne in the office, she gave me the idea of the rocking horse is big enough to be ridden by my two girls, and thus I do not need to buy two rocking chairs. Thank Goodness that I got the contact of the seller. Call him up to make a return and exchange arrangement. Pay him another RM20.
There, you see my two girls were happily rocking on their new toy. I know I have made the right choice. Seeing them rocking on the horse reminded me of my childhood.

The rattan toy that I like best in my childhood is the crib for my teddy bear.  I loved rocking my teddy bear prior to my own nap time.
A few months ago, I bugged my husband to buy this rattan crib for my two girls. In fact, I was the one wanting.
My childhood memory only has rattan toys and teddy bears. I never had a Barbie doll, Lego, or any Fisher Price toys like the kids now. I remember that I brought a rattan basket to school during my primary education. It was a trend that time for boys and girls to carry the rattan school bag, just like the kids having the back pack and trolley school bags now.

Of course my childhood memory also included those not very fond one, all because of this rattan.  It had made me to who I am now.
Mummy's magic wand and Papa's heaven sword.

18 comments:

  1. Awww...the bamboo crib is so cute..I wanted to buy the rocking chair but a bit expensive. I think is about RM100++.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you mentioned about bamboo chairs months ago, when we passed by the shop near 'Siang Malam', finally you bought one already!
    April and May sure are 2 happy kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheoh, I like the bamboo crib, so cute.
    I just recently throw away my daughter's 25 years old bamboo rocking horse and rocking chair. But the bamboo magic wand is never on my list till today even with my son. LOL

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I can't believe you have all those bamboo products especially the bamboo crip! Making me feel young! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Those bamboo products are my childhood toys too, er, excluding the rotan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm, i don't have a bamboo rocking horse, my time already plastic era!! haha.. but we do have the bamboo rocking chair at home, it's more cooling than any other chairs~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha!! that magic "wand" or "sword" or whatever you call that.. sure a compulsory necessity at home as long as there are kids.. nice tool it is, hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL ..
    my biggest enemy . the rotan....
    I guess that my mum spent a lot of money on the rotan..
    coz everytime she bought a new one .. it went missing .. LOL...
    Hey .. last tiem I also bring bamboo school bag le ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the rocking horse is made from rotan (cane) not bamboo. I had a wooden one when I was young....lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bamboo is rotan,rotan is bamboo right? Are they different?

      Delete
  10. Hahaha, my childhood I had a rotan chair (seen from my baby photos)and in primary school I carried a rotan bag to school. I even carried a rotan basket to the wet market with my mum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yan, Pete is correct. Bamboo is actually buluh. Cane or rattan is rotan. The crib is really nice... you had such a nice toy during your childhood too. I only had a mini rattan chair and the magic wand! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Sorry for mistaking it as bamboo.

      Delete
  12. I also had the crib for my toys. And remember taking the bamboo basket to school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the bamboo one is really longlasting, and i used on my tiny bamboo chair when i was a kid

    Latest: Penang Food Festival

    ReplyDelete
  14. a rocking chair would be nice for me. I also used to have those rattan school bags but not appropriate for kids now as their book load is so heavy, it would be difficult to carry those bags.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man or man,you just reminded me of the good old days,you know dear,we show once in a while recollect all those good old memories,,,

    Hey dear,once again,thanks for your comment you left,appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dad bought 2 rocking chairs when I was young. One for him and one for me. So a big and small one. We must've looked very cute rocking together side by side last time. Memories..

    ReplyDelete