2012-03-15

My chocolate short cake

The last time I baked cake was at my Form 3 Home Science lesson in school.
Yesterday, I finally baked again. These 20 over years, I didn't bake because I don't have an oven. What kind of excuse right? Thanks to Chloe's mummy, she let me know that I can actually steam a cake. I super love the very simple recipe that she shared in her blog.

Before I started, I told my girls that I was going to bake them Chocolate Moist Cake for supper. When their tuition was over and they came out from their room, they saw Chocolate Short Cake. I purposely stacked up 3 layers, just for illustration purpose.
I must blame the new pan that I bought yesterday. The ingredients are meant for only a mini loaf pan, but I used the 9 inches round pan. The batter wasn't enough to fill up the pan, I tried to flat the batter more, so that it could spread evenly on all the surface of the pan. That is why chocolate short cake.
My all time successful dessert for my girls, konnyaku jellies with kiwi and strawberry.  I had finally used the jelly moulds that Amelia gave me. Thanks again, Amelia.
The most satisfying moment was to see my girls indulging in Cooking Mama's food. They finished off the konnyaku jellies, and left some short cakes as the next day breakfast.

I will definitely bake steam the chocolate moist cake again. This time, I will double up the ingredients.

17 comments:

  1. Well done,Yan! Make more next time, I am sure your girls will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kakakaka, sorry but I could help laughing at your maiden bake - Short Cake, interesting nickname for your cake.

    Appearance doesn't really matter as long as they finished fast - that's the best proof that your cake is delicious. 2nd batch is coming, my verdict :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practice makes perfect, I'm sure you'll improve!

    The jelly looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cakes look ok for me...Yan, as long as your gals loves it, that is best thing right? Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to try steam chocolate cake too. Do share your recipe. Your girls eat supper all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. there are always trials and errors, dont be disaaponited but i know you wont give up so easily..go go yan!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade cakes are the best.....really good when still hot...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Practice makes perfect! The jelly looks good.. reminds me.. I must do those again one day... long time since I have last made them..

    ReplyDelete
  9. the konnyaku jelly looks healthy and colorful! :) i'd love that very much if i were your girl

    Latest: Malaysian Version of "International"

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahaha, so the chocolate moist cake becomes chocolate short cake.. oh, so now i think i understand why they call that a short cake, really because it's shorter?? or because of some other reason??

    ReplyDelete
  11. anyway, from your girls' expression, i know they taste very nice albeit you've not been baking (or steaming) a cake for 20 years.. wow~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. will definitely try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so hardworking. Preparing supper for your children everyday! By the look on their face, you have succeeded lar..:)

    btw, I love konyaku jellies! Must try to do it one day for my kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheoh Yan,

    The jelly looks nice and tempting. Wont mind having a few myself lol. Your girls seems to enjoyed your baking. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...the cake look so soft and fluffy. I have tried steaming choc cake and banana cakes too because I don't have an oven :) Oh, i followed one recipe before where you can melt some chocolates and pour them on top of the cake :) Do you know that I have never made konyaku jellies before? I think i should try one day cos yours look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, you need to double the recipe cos the original one is too small and too little for your family of 4. Hope it wasn't too sweet for you. Next time you can even try reducing the sugar by half ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh by the way, your fruity konnyaku jellies are so beautiful! I can never successfully make them though... dunno why always tak jadi :( It just won't set properly!

    ReplyDelete