2012-05-29

Horlicks Layer Cake

Many years ago, my best friend, Su In brought me some Indonesia layer cake which she ordered in Penang for her baby's full moon celebration. When I tasted it and I already fell so much in love with the layer cake. 

Ever since I start baking, I blog-hopped many cooking and baking blogs. I found some Horlicks Layer Cake recipes that looked somehow easy for me to follow.
 Horlicks Layer Cake (Original recipe is here, and the blog owner is actually referred to Wendy.)
  • 225gm butter
  • 70gm sugar
  • 5 medium eggs, grade C
  • 250gm canned condensed milk
  • 120gm superfine/cake flour
  • 100gm Horlicks powder
Preheat oven on grill setting, 160C. (Electric oven should be set to 200C)
Use a 8x4x4 inch square pan. Line bottom and grease sides. Heat up pan for step 8.
Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Add in eggs, one by one. Beating well after each addition.
Mix in condensed milk
Sift flour and Horlicks together.
Fold flour mixture into batter.
Spread a ladle of batter evenly onto hot pan.
Tilt pan left and right to level batter. Grill for 9 minutes or until golden.
Remove from oven and press cake layer to remove excess air. (I am using a glass bottom to do this) Spread another ladle of batter over the cooked layer until all batter is used up.

The above all 3 pictures were taken during my first attempt. Though they didn't look as beautiful as I saw at other blogs. But, never mind, it tasted really good. The most important thing, my girls told me that this was the most delicious cake that I ever baked recently.

After baking the Horlicks Layer Cake with my halogen oven, I wanted to try steaming the Horlicks Layer Cake. I applied the same recipe and ingredients, I only changed the step from baking to steaming it layer by layer. This last picture was my steamed Horlicks Layer Cake. I don't know why the steamed layer cake wasn't looked as clear as the bake one.  Anyway, both baked and steamed Horlicks Layer Cake tasted really good. My husband preferred the steamed Horlicks Layer Cake, as he said that wasn't as heaty as the baked one.

I need to practise either baking or steaming this Horlick Layer Cake more, so that I can get a better looking layers. You should try this recipe, as it can surely guaranteed you a very well-tasted layer cake.

I am submitting this entry to Bake-Along No. 25 1st Anniversary: A Layered Cake.
Happy Birthday to Bake-Along, thanks to Frozen Wings, Kitchen Flavours and Baking for Happy Kids for hosting this very meaningful baking meme.

47 comments:

  1. oh... I will love to try this cake.. but since I am not a Horlick fan, I will substitute it with others...heheheh.. :d

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you did a kueh lapis! Impressive! me too have tried the indonesian kuih lapis when my friend brought it back from indon, it was very nice..hard to describe, it was rich,buttery and very aromatic. Interesting to know that the same recipe can be used for steaming as well, you did it beautifully!! horlicks is nice and thanks again for your entry to our bake along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would like to taste this cake.. i always like that wheaty taste from horlicks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, i've got a bright idea for you.. since it's horlick.. maybe it'll be nice if you add in some wheat germ into the cake.. and it's also healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW before i continue, i thought you've gone for your one week holiday?? how come still blogging one??

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i think maybe you've not got the batter to lay evenly?? but i think that's good enough lah.. next time maybe use something to sapu so that the batter is even and flat enough for a nice look :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. the layers not so obvious if you steam it?? for sure, because steaming keeps the moisture mah, that's why the layering should be a little more "smudge" than using oven where it's heat and more dry..

    ReplyDelete
  8. good try huh.. i think both also look nice lor.. the steam one looks exactly like 馬來糕, haha~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your layer cake looks wonderful! I have never tried baking Indonesian layer cake before. You did a good job!
    Thank you for baking along with us and your constant support! We really appreciate it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! This layered Horlicks looks amazing! I can imagine the malt-y taste of this cake must be very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yan, I never have the guts to bake one yet. Yours look amazing. Will follow your recipe and bake one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love layer cake ..
    and your cake looks very delicious le.....
    I bet your kids will ask you to bake and bake during the school holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. then after the horlick.. you will go for milo layer cake..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sheoh, your cake lapis look good, very nice layer.
    Love the texture of the cake, keep up the good work.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is a beautiful layered cake!!! wow!! you would win a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cakes look yummy and presentable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cakes look yummy and presentable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cakes look yummy and presentable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find the steam cake looking more good than the other... i wanna try to make steam cake too... steamer is next on list :)
    thank you for sharing Yan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...the picture itself looks good! I bet it tastes heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you sure have a lot of patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. can tumpang makan there ka?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sheoh, I jumped in from the Bake Along list :D nice looking cakes, really interesting and yummy experiment you did with the layer cakes..personally I like steamed cakes too for their moistness!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me too .. finally i m joining the Bake Along list too .. after few post from you :) This layer cake u bake look great to me .

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice opinion.. thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not a horlicks fan, but the steamed cake looks very interesting! maybe I'll substitute it with milo when I make it! Looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wah...the cake looks yummy...you are really good at baking!! Must ask you to be my sifu!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wonder whether can I replace horlicks with milo.... You are so successful in making layer cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow... i must try this!
    i love kueh lapis from Indonesia too
    this is definitely healthier than that!
    thks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is super great! Never hard of horlicks cake before but now m intrigued. Bookmarking this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow...you improved so much. The cake looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The cake looks really nice. Wish I could try it !!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think I'd love the steamed version too. I love steam cake!

    ReplyDelete
  34. too bad, we don't drink Horlick, can't try this out..Eventhough steam version look not as nice as bake version, but it is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i can smell the goodness of butter from here :D i love horlicks, but rarely get to have that

    Latest: Madagascar Circus

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, I hv nvr tot of steamed layer cakes, tht's a brilliant idea! And it looks spongy soft and delicious! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like this cake too. Beautiful layers, Yan!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks so moist and rich. Horlicks sounds like a great idea for a new Kueh Lapis flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Sheoh Yan, wow! First time I see this Horlicks cake.
    And love your display presentation, very classy!
    That cake sure looks good, the kind one spoon in mouth forget mother's name.
    3 pieces will do me fine, ha ha.
    Have a great week, stay beautiful.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow this is definitely a healthy n yummy one ..., looks
    Really soft n moist

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for all your kind compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! Sheoh Yan, you're really improving! The steamed version looks so smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow i love horlicks (and milo) and i'm always on the lookout for steamed cakes - i love how the steamed one looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thks for sharing this recipe. I wish to try too....now my kids grew up and they have huge appetite. haha.....

    ReplyDelete