2012-07-20

My resolution is accomplished


I have made this year as a year to bake and cook more. I proud to say now, I have accomplished half of the recipes that in my list to cook and bake. Shy to say that, before this, the last time I baked was in my Home Science lesson. It was like donkey years ago. I am just half year into baking. Please don't expect me to present you a very beautiful cakes like those in other cooking mamas' blog, but I will definitely keep on practicing until it becomes better.

1. Muffins

Kiwi seed muffins
ingredients:
500g kiwi ready-mixed flour
112ml water
4 eggs
140g butter


Direction:
  1. Combine ready-mixed flour, water and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Beat for 1 minute with low speed and continue with medium speed for 4 minutes.
  2. Add butter to the mixture and beat for another 1 minute with low speed.
  3. Spoon batter into paper muffin cups until 2/3 full.
  4. Bake in halogen for 25 15 minutes at 160130°C or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Kiwi muffins raised well and tasted good.

2. Cupcakes
Chocolate Swirled Steamed Cupcakes ( adapted from Elinluv's Sweet Delights )
Yield: Makes 4 cupcakes
Ingredients:

½ cup (75g) all purpose flour ( I used unbleached)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. sugar  *  I doubled the amount of sugar
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 Heaped Tbsp of nutella  * I substituted with  melted dark chocolate
 
Method:

In a bowl, sift or whisk together the flour and baking powder combining well.

In another bowl, combine egg, milk, sugar and vegetable oil and whisk them all together.

Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a fork until smooth.

Add in the tablespoon of nutella or melted dark chocolate and stir to create a swirl in the batter. Don't mix too well else you won't be able to see the swirly effect.

Pour the mixture into the cupcake liners trying to make sure that the batter does not spill over the edges of the liners.

Place them in the steamer and steam for 8-15 mins. ( mine cooked at 8 mins )

Stick a skewer or toothpick into the cake. When it comes out clean, remove them from steamer an place on a rack to cool. If not , leave to cook for 5 minute increments until done.

If you undercook they will be dense and gummy and if you overcook they will become rubbery, so do check.

Mine was a bit overcooked, and it was hard to take on the next day. 

3. Cakes


Topo Map Love Cake ( adapted from Table for2 ....or more)

As Seen on Home Keation
Original source: Pn. Mastura Yasak
Ingredients:
250gm butter
250gm sugar
5 medium eggs
300gm cake flour +1 tsp baking powder
125ml evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pandan paste
Cocoa powder for creating the topo lines (I replaced with MILO 3 Tbsp)

1. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Beat in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift half the flour into the butter mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.
4. Mix in the evaporated milk until well combined.
5. Sift the balance of flour into the mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
6. Divide the batter to two. Mix vanilla extract to one part and pandan paste to the other.
7. Preheat oven to 160(fan)/180C. Prepare a 8 inch pan, lined at the base.
8. Spread 1/2 the pandan batter (or vanilla whichever you prefer) into pan. Level it.
9. Evenly sift a thin layer of cocoa powder over.
10. Very very gently dollop half of the other colour over and gently level it. Repeat the sifting of cocoa powder.
11. Repeat layering with both colours, with the final layer clean (no cocoa powder on top).
12. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
May be it was because I replaced the cocoa powder with MILO, the TOPO line wasn't obvious enough. Besides, I should have reduced the temperature to 130C and baked for 45. The top part of the cake was badly burnt and I needed to cut it off. Thankfully, my girls showed me their thumbs after tasting it.

42 comments:

  1. Yan .. aihhh.. too bad you are in Taiping.. if not then I will come and get all those delicious cakes.. yummy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SP, if you really want then you also won't mind dropping by Taiping mah.. after having nice food in Taiping, go to Yan's house to claim the cakes~~ :D

      Delete
    2. ya lor SP

      you always travel up and down. then can tapau some muffins for us here in KL also la. :P *bodek mode*

      Delete
    3. Yeah lo I wanna bodek Mr Ahem to tapao muffins for me too..... Ahem ahem!

      Delete
  2. the last time you baked was during schooldays before you pick up this interest again.. guess when was the last time i baked??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my answer is simple..
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      NEVER!!! waakakaka~~

      Delete
    2. actually i love all those cakes, breads, biscuits, cookies, kuih etc.. indeed i think i've never eaten them before in my previous life, so in this life i love them so much!!

      Delete
    3. but then they are also the fattest thing in the world!! hahaha, love to eat but then gotta worry about gaining weight!!

      Delete
    4. hey, i am thinking.. maybe the next round you want to bake birthday cakes for your family members.. and then for your good friends.. and then for your colleagues..

      Delete
    5. in my previous company, a colleague actually bake birthday cakes for us.. she was learning and get the chance to practice lah, haha!!

      Delete
    6. but of course my previous company very small lah, only less than 10 ppl so she can do that.. if big big company then cannot lah, later everyday also got ppl birthday, haha!!

      Delete
    7. so, these were all your successful products?? eih, where is the batek cake?? i like that one woh..

      Delete
    8. and finally, CONGRATULATIONS on achieving your resolution!! :)

      Delete
  3. Well done Yan! Glad to hear that you've achieved the baking misson~

    ReplyDelete
  4. wei...at least your ones is still presentable

    ReplyDelete
  5. mine ones are like a pile of ahem ahem

    ReplyDelete
  6. SK idea of baking cake for your family members is a good idea leh. Can bake healthy cake. and you are the one who know best what yur family memebrs love most

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! All your cakes look so good! My resolution this year is to eat less cakes and fattening food hahaha so I'm definitely not joining the baking bandwagon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. there's a rainbow cakes everywhere too, yet to try and now i saw many topo cakes...wondering when i can try both LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a student I used to bake every weekend and fed all my Korean and Japanese friends! They loved to eat them for breakfasts on Monday mornings. Sweet memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah terror wor TM. Didnt know you can bake. Now still bake or not

      Delete
  10. I salute you Yan! You are so capable as a Good mother, wife and baker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It never crossed my mind that muffins can be baked in square boxes! How clever Yan! I am impressed la!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I give you thumbs up after seeing them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. regardless how the shapes are they still look yummy... I wont hesitate to get a bite if ever you offered me one... pls pls be my neighbor :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alamak! Bad timing for me to see so much droolworthy food here now.

    *stomach growl*

    kakaka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muhahaha Lina

      Time to visit Ramadan Bazaar. Snap photo see got what good food there.

      speaking of....looking at the muffins here 2nd 3rd time....my tummy playing drums too. wanna go raid my fridge liao

      Delete
  15. *clap clap* can see that you are a very disciplined lady and well done on all of your bakes and your topo map cake is beautiful!! so are your kiwi seed muffins! jia you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the recipe, I shall go bake it soon :)

    xox, c
    http://carolyntay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow..you can bake so well..love all your cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. next time when I go to Taiping, I must visit you..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! Thumbs up for you! I did tell myself to bake more breads this year and to bake other goodies as much as possible from my cookbooks, and happy to say that it is going rather well! Feels wonderful, isn't it? Your muffins and cupcakes looks wonderful and your topo map cake looks so moist and delicious! Looking forward to see more of your bakes! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. *Pat on your shoulder*. wonderful journey to become a baker right?

    ReplyDelete
  21. very interesting & yummy cake recipes..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Half year only and you've achieved your resolution?? Kudos, Yan! But I hope you keep the baking mojo going and not stopped because your resolution is achieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind to be the guinea pig every time, hehehe!

      Delete
  23. Glad you achieve your resolution. Way to go! More to come I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are killing me softly with all these food pics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When the kids enjoyed their food, the mummy will be the happiest of all.

    Very nice try for all cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yan, I am so happy that you are enjoying your baking. It shows in the finished product. Your cake looks gorgeous just like you:D Hugs for job well done.

    ReplyDelete