Plain butter cake for him

16:32 Yannie 37 Comments

Last Saturday was a replacement school day for my 8 years old, April. It was declared as Children's Day. I wanted to make kuih batik for her to bring to the Children's Day party. She didn't buy it.
I suggested her to bring heart shape pancakes to the Children's Day party, she also didn't want.
She requested me to make her agar agar in sauce plates like what I did for her on her last year Children's Day party. I found the pink colour agar agar so plain, but she just likes it this way.
On the same evening, I thought of baking my husband a cake for his birthday. The simplest cake I could whip up was this plain butter cake.
I am still not good in adjusting my oven temperature and the position of the rack. Thus, I overbaked my butter cake a bit at the edge and the bottom of the cake. Taste wise, I found it good and the birthday boy has no complain.
Plain Butter Cake
Ingredients:

4 eggs, room temperature
227 grams butter, well softened
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsps baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsps milk
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and grease/ line your baking pans. Sift the flour and baking powder and together - this is to ensure they combine well. Add in the salt and mix well. Set aside.

2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale yellow and light. Do not pour in the sugar all at once as you will 'drown' the butter. You should beat the butter and sugar till fluffy.

3. Now for the eggs, it is preferable to break each egg into a separate bowl before mixing with your batter just in case you have some bad eggs on your hands! Break each egg in separately, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla essence and mix well.

4.   Finally, add in the flour mixture in 3 portions, mixing well after each addition. Remember to scrape down your bowl with a large spatula to ensure even mixing. Add in the milk tablespoon by tablespoon.

5. Now that your batter is ready, you can just bake a plain butter cake in a 9 inch round pan or 9 inch loaf pan or pour batter into whatever shaped pans you would like.

6. Bake your cake for about 45 minutes. Check for doneness with a wooden skewer or toothpick - insert in center of cake, if it comes out clean - the cake is done. Do not overbake to avoid dryness.

7. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes on a wire rack before turning out. 

37 comments:

  1. Anything made with love is great food! :)

    Ebnvy your family lah Yan... no extra cake for us ke? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. First sip at Yan's blog!

    Woohoo

    I wish I can have first taste of the pancakes, cakes, agar-agar.... hu~
    xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Taiping again ler, tell her in advance so she'll bakes you cakes, muffins, egg tarts and jelly!

      Delete
    2. Cannot tumpang SP Ke? ;)

      Delete
  3. Hmm... yummy! You're really hardworking, Yan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrr....I'm hungry now. Your butter cake look moist and nice. I love creamy buttery stuff but sad is I always get choke eating butter cake that I bought, too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah!!! I want to try and make!!! I can't make cakes...but I'm sure I'm not too old to learn. If successful, I'll blog about it and give you due credit for it... Wink! Wink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to bake butter cake too.... do you think it's possible for me to succeed without electric mixer? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and before that, I want to stress:

      "SP, you don't come near and offer your stick, wokay?! I don't want my batter to get contaminated with your virus!".

      "Shoo, shoo~".

      Delete
  7. Eventually your daughter didn't want anything fancy. Just plain old jelly in mini saucers.

    Sometimes I find it hard to understand kids, lol~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way you "utilized" hello kitty with your pancakes, the theme is so matching :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yan, you are so good in baking!! I don't dare to go near my oven now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drown the batter, LOL!!

    Ok, I'll take note on that because I tend to take shortcut and quickly finish up the process, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a sweet mama and wifey! Always thinking of making them happy with food in stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was a kid, my mum often offered to make many types of cakes for me to bring to school. All completed with creams, icing and nuts spread on the cakes. All my school mates loved them. Later I became like your daughter, nothing fancy, just plain cakes will do. I think I was quite jealous and didn't want them to be pampered by my mum! I was so selfish like any kids, wanting all the best from my mother for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I attended the baking class, I realized some hidden tricks which baking chefs had which recipe books never revealed. It is the brands of the butter, flour, eggs, mixing timing, oven temperature changes and blah blah. It was an eye opener to me. The teacher was a young capable lady who looked like late 20s and always conducted the classes of all adults and grandmas. She was such a smooth talker like the cake cream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say that all your photos will make everyone smile, looking at the cute-cute things you displayed in background. So much better than that eternal orchid. Kakakakakakaka

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Yan i love butter cake... it's like I can grow tired eating chocolate cake but not butter cake ... I wanna learn how to bake .. i gotta but an oven first hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. i bet your butter cake is a hit with everyone at home. Sure looks yummy. Hey, ever since you changed your blog template, I have been having problems seeing your post. Each time i come to your blog, i can only see the header and all the links at the bottom. The middle part is blank :( I kept refreshing but to no avail unless i click your latest post directly from other ppl's sidebar which list your latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally i get to view ur blog again! YUmmm...i love the batik cake. do u have the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have collected all the kitty too! :D but no butter cake for me

    Latest: Fine Dining with #Oktoberfest

    ReplyDelete
  19. sometimes really find it difficult to understand the kids.. the batek cake looks so yummy and the heart shaped pancake looks so nice woh, but she doesn't like it..

    ReplyDelete
  20. but good also lah.. i think making the pink jelly is way simpler than baking the batek cake and frying the pancakes right?? you save lots of time and effort, haha~~

    ReplyDelete
  21. maybe your girl doesn't want to trouble and tire her mommy that much, that's why she asked for the simplest thing lor.. how sweet right?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely cake! I love plain butter cake too, just made one last week. After all the different types of baking, having a plain butter cake is still the best! Happy Belated Birthday greetings to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i just noticed you are changing the backgrounds and props for each of the photos!! wow, you took our comments rather seriously huh?? can see you are a perfectionist leh~~

    ReplyDelete
  24. of all the photos, i think you did a great shot for the pancake.. the slightly bokeh feel but the focus is just right.....

    .....on that hello kitty figurine!! hahaha.. actually the main thing is the hello kitty, the pancakes are just background props?? :p

    ReplyDelete
  25. aiyah, who cares how your cake looks right?? as long as taste good then it's good already.. somemore made with love woh.. sure your jin jin will wallop the whole thing lah.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely your white knight love your butter cake very much. So much effort full of sweet love....

    ReplyDelete
  27. I couldn't view your blog too.. it says "display blocked".

    I actually prefer cakes that are a bit burnt at the sides... more fragrant :) Oh, I have been chasing the McD Hello Kitty toys too... it's so hard to find in the Klang Valley. It was sold out in many outlets. In the end, I only got 2 :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. nice cake~

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wah..getting very good in your batik cake, pancake and now butter cake! Next maybe you can learn decorating the cake on top. Your birthday boy sure will be even happier..hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I appreciate all the comments. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The agar agar is easier to make, also nicer looking cause colorful, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  32. i think whatever you made, your husband will also like them!

    ReplyDelete
  33. When a child requested for something, meaning she likes that things a lot. Your jelly must be delicious.

    Great b'day present for your hubby.....home baked butter cake.

    ReplyDelete