2012-11-22

Steamed Sarawak Kek Lapis

I thought that I would have a hard time blogging from Perlis. I was so happy to find out that the hotel I stayed in Perlis providing WIFI  in every floor. The connection speed is even more excellent than my house streamyx. 
I have saved a couple of photos and a recipe in draft post, before I left home.

I saw a few of my blogger friends baking their own Sarawak Kek Lapis. I was bitten by their baking bug too. I finally took out my courage to try baking my own Sarawak Kek Lapis last week.
  
I was satisfied with my first attempt of this recipe. It tasted perfectly my kind of Sarawak Kek Lapis.

When it was ready to be served, my girls and I took a few pieces as supper. Omg! Fat!
Then I packed the rest into 2 containers to share my fat with my colleagues and my husband. 
Everyone gave me very good feedback. Even my husband who doesn't really like eating cakes, he also said my Sarawak Kek Lapis tasted good.

Here is the link I got the recipe. 

Steamed Sarawk Kek Lapis (Cocoa and horlicks flavour) 

250g butter (I used Buttercup and 1/4 tsp salt)
1/2 cup icing sugar (I used Castor sugar)
5 large eggs
200g sweetened condensed milk
70g horlicks
30g cocoa powder
1 tsp  vanilla essence
1/2 cup hongkong flour

  1. Heat up steamer over medium heat, wrap the cover with clean cloth
  2. Grease 20cm round pan and line with baking paper
  3. Beat butter and sugar til creamy
  4. In low speed, add in eggs one at a time, add in vanilla essence and mix well
  5. Gradually, add in sweet condensed milk alternating with hongkong flour til well mixed
  6. Divide the batter into 2 parts, one part mix with horlicks, the other part mix with cocoa powder (use spatula)
  7. Spread a layer at a time in the pan (I scooped 5 heaped tablespoons for each layer), and steam each layer for 6 minutes
  8. After spreading the last layer, steam for further 30 minutes
This recipe is worth trying and it tastes really good. I have not much complain over this attempt, except I should have cut the cake in more equivalent size. 



39 comments:

  1. HELLO HOT MAMA MAK YANNIE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fuyoh, i got the first sip.. actually just finished replying comments on my blog.. you were the last one and now hoping over here pulak..

      Delete
  2. aiyoh nice lah this kek lapis.. but is this really the sarawak kek lapis?? i thought should have more layers right?? haha.. guess you don't have the time and patience to do so many layers also lah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like the combination, got horlicks and cocoa, and the color also nice lah.. no wonder everybody gives good feedback, i see also think it's very yummy lor~~

      Delete
    2. Mak Yannie should bake this on 1st December night and then bring them for us when you come to KL, hahahaha!! good idea right?? :p

      Delete
    3. so using those photos as the background this time?? you are naming this cake Yannie Glamorous Celebrity Layer Cakes??

      Delete
  3. it's really a thrill to have internet connection so unexpectedly fast right?? now you have no excuse to go hiatus during your stay in Perlis already, hehehehehe~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can go all crazy and download all movies and drama there, while you stay at the hotel! ;p

      Delete
  4. Aww so colorful and so yummy! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least not as colourful as those Sarawak Kuih Lapis, Some of the them the colours are too bright..

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i enjoyed this cake so much too, so was my family
    the only thing is, its not friendly to the waistline LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice! Got wifi at every floor! Thumbs up to the hotel management!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kek lapis is something I wish to bake, the last time I tried, I failed to the max~ =_=

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyway, if time allows, I'll try your recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yan it is been long time that you have not blog about baking..

    ReplyDelete
  11. so when you come over please bake something..
    Annay still have not give me his cupcakes..
    aihhhh

    ReplyDelete
  12. so ah hua eat how many pcs? kakaka...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I kinda like budget hotels nowadays because they all provide good interent connection and for free. Not all 5 star hotels do that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loooove Sarawak Kek Lapis. I always ask my sis to bring back some when she goes there to visit her in-laws. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would prefer your kek lapis than the colorful ones from Sarawak.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL!!!! What thick layers you have!!! But no worries, better than my missus - she just mixed everything together. Tasted great, very very nice...just no layers! Muahahahahahaha!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STP, please share your missus' recipe~ I'm a lazy bum who love cakes but hate the tedious process.

      Delete
  17. Steam kek lapis, it look very raising and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yannie's kek lapis is a success! I love them very much. Don't care about the calories temporary. Enjoy first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When are you going to steam another batch? My birthday is coming~ wink! wink!

      OMG, since when I'm turning into SP the starfish? Keep telling people my birthday already!

      Delete
  19. Your kek lapis looks wonderful! Moist and soft! Yup, a good idea to share all that fat around! hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i like .... gonna try out once i had the time ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. what is HK fliur and where can i get it? am keen to try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hong Kong flour can be easily found in the shop that sells all baking flour, or you can opt of Blue Key superfine flour

      Delete
  22. means put one layer in then steam 6 min and the put one more layer and steam 6 minute and again and again ?

    ReplyDelete
  23. havent seen you baking in action for quite sometime and this is very nicely done. I never tried making any sarawak kek lapis yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmm.....yummy indeed. So how's your Perlis trip? Or are you shopping in KL already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sheoh Yan, that's me...I logged in to a different email address hence the login name is different :P

      Barb

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. Hong Kong flour can be easily found in the shop that sells all baking flour, or you can opt of Blue Key superfine flour

      Delete
  26. I haven't taken my breakfast yet and your kuih lapis is really making my tummy growl!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Yan, your steam cake look delicious. Nice layering. :)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow..so moist & fluffy. They must gone in a jiff!

    ReplyDelete