2013-01-09

Chinese New Year delights 2013: Butter Cookies

I always feel jealous when hearing people giving homemade cookies to their relatives and friends on Chinese New Year. Every year, I spent a lot of money to buy Chinese New Year cookies for relatives and friends too. That's why I swear to myself that I must learn baking some Chinese New  Year cookies in year 2013. Hence, baking cookies and cakes has become one of my resolutions this year.

As a beginner, I am only interested in simple, and yet yummy recipe. I finally found one online weeks ago. I was eagerly waiting for my girls' tuition to resume. I fully utilize this ME time to bake when they are having their tuition in the study room.

I managed to bake 3 batches of butter cookies last night.
My first batch of butter cookies that I used a small plastic gadget to pipe the flower shape. I found it too time consuming and  I got fed up with the hassle after piping for about 10 butter cookies. I threw away the piping gadget and went for free hand shape as in the below picture. 

Free hand shaping and pressing with a fork that had dipped into icing sugar. 

I have got a star nozzle and some piping bags free from Angeline today. I must make a beautiful flower shape butter cookies in my second attempt. 
This recipe that I used was a good one. I know it because of the comments that I have got last night from my two princesses and this morning from my colleagues. If you are curious of the Angpau decoration that I used as the background, it is actually the small parts that my girls are going to make it as a lantern in their Art Craft lesson. 


Butter Cookies (recipe is credited to Christina Ho)
Ingredients:
  • 200 gm cake flour
  • 130 gm melted butter
  • 35 gm caster sugar
  • 65 gm icing sugar
  • 1 egg, whisked, about 50 gm
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190C (375F). I preheat my oven to 180C only. 
  2. Cut butter into cubes and allow to soften at room temperature. If time is limited, here is a quickest way to soften butter. Melt butter in microwave at high-medium power for 10 seconds or so, then transfer to freezer for a few minutes. When the butter begins to be frozen again and thickens, it’s ready to use. If not, put it back to freezer for more minutes.
  3. Cream butter with an electric mixer over medium speed until smooth. Add caster sugar and icing sugar, continue to cream until fluffy .
  4. Add one-third of the whisked egg into the butter mixture at a time. Stir and combine well between adding egg each time, the volume increases and colour lightens .
  5. Stir in vanilla essence and combine well.
  6. Sift flour into the egg mixture . Use a spatula to combine all ingredients. Don’t over stir, just incorporate the flour into the mixture. Transfer the batter into an icing bag. Pipe the batter on a lined baking tray with baking paper, in 1.5-inch (3.8 cm) circles, that’s about 1 tablespoon each of batter, evenly spaced 1.5-inch apart. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 13 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack completely. Store in an air-tight container.
Tips:

  1. The magic ingredients in this recipe are both caster sugar and icing sugar. Two kinds of sugar will work together, producing the perfect balance of delicate, crispy texture, and keeping the pattern well in shape after baking. If you only use icing sugar, the cookies won’t be crispy as you expect. Without using the icing sugar, the original pattern of cookies that you pipe out wouldn’t be kept so clear and beautiful. (Note: icing sugar is a super fine, powdered form of sugar.)
  2. The baking time of cookies is quite short at high temperature. Don’t leave them unattended, especially for the last few minutes because you don’t want them burnt.
  3. When the colour turns to the point a bit lighter than you prefer, then you can remove the cookies from oven. The cookies will get a bit darker after a while. Well, practice makes things perfect. After some trials, you’ll bake cookies with perfect colour to your liking.


Read more: http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/02/butter-cookies-for-chinese-new-year.html#ixzz2HRRaXXEm

 I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

p/s: There are 2 colleagues told me that my butter cookies tasted like the blue round tin Danish butter cookies. Hooray!

78 comments:

  1. You're early Yan! I haven't had anything done yet!!! Too busy with my son enrolling in Primary 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing my preparation early. I hate last minute job.

      Delete
  2. wow..delicious cookies..btw, I like the star-shaped handicraft. I must try to do that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have blogged about the steps how to make it. Thanks for liking it, Wenn.

      Delete
  3. A failure in baking cookies. Not sure if I want to try any this year. Maybe I want to follow this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yee Ling, this is simple to follow, you must try.

      Delete
  4. clap hand/.//free hand one is nicer looking la

    ReplyDelete
  5. see this post can feel the CNY Hei Fun jor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already got the CNY hei fun liao..
      ulala .. radio station had been playing CNY songs

      Delete
    2. Really, me too listening to My Astro CD already. SP, you should have asked SK to burn Ulala song for you.

      Delete
  6. what else will you be making this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to make Zebra butter cake and orange butter cake.

      Delete
  7. Very Beautiful!!! I mean the red star flowers decorations!! Where is your orchid? You ate them? Kakakakaka

    It sure made your cookies look like CNY goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean that hot mama's cookies are ugly looking compare to the red star?

      Delete
    2. They are superb delicious, ya know?

      Er, frankly the shape is a bit out... but as long as it tastes nice, who cares? It'll turn out as poo poo later, haha!

      Delete
    3. Ya lo! Anay only like the decoration at the background, no like my baking. Yannie goes sulk at the corner.

      Delete
    4. Adoiii!!!! I didn't have chance to makan your cookies lah otherwise I would praise it like heavens!

      Delete
  8. Yea well done Yan! You've made it this year~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking own CNY cookies definitely save some money, and healthier too!

      Delete
    2. I also hope I have the time to bake some simple CNY cookies ;)

      Delete
    3. Of course it will save a lot..
      the best thing is that less preservative...

      Delete
    4. Homemade always the best. Hayley, may be we can meet when SP is here. Then, I can pass to you some to try.

      Delete
  9. They look like Danish Butter Cookies! You should recycle those round Danish tins and put your cookies inside for your SP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can remove the Danish Royal Emblem outside the tin and put the words - "Made by the Appointment of HRH Yannie - Princess of Wales!" Wakakakaka

      Delete
    2. Are we all HHBC allowed to order your cookies?

      Delete
    3. and are we all HHBC having those cookies from you, free?? :p

      Delete
    4. my saliva is dripping liao le..
      please count me in... I want I want...

      Delete
    5. Do I hear free cookies? I'm the nearest, no need postage fee, so can I ask for 2 tins?

      Delete
    6. Tins your head la! Last night, I spent 2 hours, I can only make 1 tin only.

      I try la! But, SP comes to collect in Taiping. I can't deliver to you guys, i scare my butter cookies become bread crumbs.

      Delete
    7. Her Royal Highness Yannie - Princess of Wales!

      Delete
  10. looks super yummy lah.. at first i thought you bake some "kuih bahulu" because of the shape and patter.. hmmm, i think you can do that lah, some idea for your next baking?? hehe~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i also like those angpow crafts at the background, the angpow flowers looks very nice.. these photos so CNY feel lah, with the angpow and the 萬壽無疆 plates, oh, i love it~~

      Delete
    2. i am guessing, Mak Yannie sure was making those angpow flowers between the times she waits for the cake to bake in the oven.. haha, really good time management~~ :)

      Delete
    3. i wonder how your sista and colleagues in office love your butter cookies when you bring them today??

      Delete
    4. yah lo I also thought it was kuih bahulu..
      Sure all your colleagues is very happy with the pre CNY cookies...

      Delete
    5. I LOVE it very much and had almost 50% of the whole box!!

      I feel so fat now, but I don't mind to eat them again *hint, hint*

      Delete
    6. I helped April folding this Angpau flowers on last weekend. This week she is going to make it into lanterns.

      Delete
  11. wah so fast already baking CNY cookies. Yes I love this type of "Danish butter cookies", my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the liking, Vicky.

      Delete
  12. Yan is super mommy.

    She's adding bakin CNY cookies into her busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am getting very very busy now. Thanks goodness Jin Jin helping to housekeep my wardrobe 50% already.

      Delete
  13. They sure looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lina, I also let two Malay colleagues try just now. The Malay boy said yummy. I am so happy.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Ok, i will ask SP to send some.

      Delete
  15. Wahhhhh!!!! Already baking? You have my mailing address? Wink! Wink! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later, my cookies become bread crumbs la! STP.

      Delete
  16. Your cookies looks good! So fast, it is almost time for CNY! I can see bottles of cookies already selling at the market!

    ReplyDelete
  17. psst.. another one person .. SP also say that the cookies also looks like the blue danish cookies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it tasted like Danish Cookies, until my Malay colleague told me.

      Delete
  18. Aiyo.. long long time ago I used to bake for CNY. NOw no more :( Sad.. must start baking again to cheer me up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry, you should resume baking. I know you can bake and cook one.

      Delete
  19. I must invest in a grrr grrr machine, so that I have more excuse to bake.

    A little note to SP: Nope, I don't want to lend it from you. You keep that for your Fui Fui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Hua, bonus is here soon, don't think already, faster go and buy one grrr...grrr....grrr.

      Delete
    2. go buy kitchen aid..
      that is the best grr grr grr machine so far..

      Delete
  20. Hi Yan,

    Your cookies look wonderful! They must be very buttery, lightly crisp and melt-y as described to be the Danish butter cookies kind. 2013 is just beginning and you have already reached your objective for the year. You should bake more!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this recipe..will try out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh i love butter cookies <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can I have some cookies too?..Just joking!!

    I used to make cookies for Chinese New Year, don't think I have got the time to bake any this year.

    Glad that you like the gift :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, taste like those Danish butter cookies? You are really good now. Your picture always comes with decoration at the back. So cute. So how did May fare on her first day of school? I'm sure she didn't cry cos got big jie jie to accompany her.;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely cookies. I must try your recipe one day. The hand shaped cookies look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Used to be enthusiastic over baking CNY cookies. Getting lazy these days but there will still be plenty left after CNY as hubby alwabring backs back lotsa 人情cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops.. I mean always bring back...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope this year, your relatives will eat your home-made cookies. Yey!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Yan, hey! Your cookies look fantastic! Love the colours. I have always loved these butter cookies.
    I buy those Danish ones often too.
    Love the colours and looks really good. Good for you.
    Next day can graduate make pineapple tarts....
    Have fun.....happy baking.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kudos to you Sheoh Yan. The cookies look so delightful. I can just smell them from here...hehehe. I like the angpow flowers. Going to try that out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your butter cookies look so great, no wonder your colleagues tasted like store-bought!

    ReplyDelete
  32. your butter cookies look very nice wor..isnt it great to bake some new year cookies to giveaway? bake more ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yan, the biscuit is very delicious...taste like Danish butter cookies... Wonderful. Keep it up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Saw your cookies on Sonia's blog and came over to check them out. These buttery cookies are definitely perfect for CNY!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look great! Can't wait to try the recipe out for Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  36. looks really good, i love butter cookies, especially those melt in the mouth type :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Yan, love this cookies. Looks really good. Love the texture and colour too.
    Here's wishing you and family , KONG HEI FATT CHOY'.
    Best wishes for the new year.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete