2013-02-16

Chinese New Year delights 2013: Crispy Crab Sticks

Yvonne kept telling me that crispy crab stick is the easiest delight for Chinese New Year. She said her kids like it the best. I don't listen until she gave some to my girls. I finally made my own crispy crab sticks when my girls pestering me to ask for more crab sticks from Aunt Yvonne again.
I bought KAMI brand crab sticks. It came in loose strips. If you want thinner strips, you may need to tear the crab sticks thinner.

Heat up oil and deep fry the crab sticks. Seasoning free, egg free and flour free.

We prefer more browish crab sticks. Some people prefer lightly brownish only.

Once you start biting on these crispy crab sticks, you can't stop eating until the container is empty.

I must make more of these crispy crab sticks next year to give away to friends and relatives, because many said nice when I let them try.

Crispy Crab Sticks

Ingredients:

1 Packs of Frozen Crab Sticks(KAMI brand), thawed

Oil for Frying

Method:

1.  Loosen the crab sticks into thin strips. Place on the lined tray.
2. Fry over medium high heat until light golden. Drain on paper towels. Pack in an air-tight container.
Tomorrow, we will be staying up late to pray for the Jade Emperor. I decided to steam some simple and healthy cup cake as part of the praying food.  
I really like this steamed cup cake. I make some in pandan flavour (from fragrance Screwpine leaves) and some in vanilla flavour. You can also make cocoa flavour steamed cup cakes if you like.

Here is the steamed cup cake recipe that I found at NasiLemakLover a.k.a Sonia.

4 eggs
100g sugar
50ml corn oil
130g self raising flour or cake flour
1/2 tsp vanilla ( or pandan, chocolate, etc)

1. Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until fluffy.
2. Add corn oil,vanilla, and followed by self raising flour and whisk well.
3. Pour into paper cup and steamed for 20 minutes.

 I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

30 comments:

  1. My friend gave me those fried crab sticks too! But I don't really like it, don't know why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of Jade Emperor prayer, hmm, this year I gotto look after Aden (cause he'd be sleeping around that time) so I can't really stay up late, hehe..

      Delete
  2. Hi Yan, these look really good - I must try them.
    Can you say what is pandan flavor please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crab sticks! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. why oh why yours ones so beautiful????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried making that last year but all burnt! the side burnt and middle not cooked. Tried medium fire also cannot...haiz......just no talent making that...

      Delete
  5. Not a fan of crab sticks but my daughter loves them. I'm sure she'll love these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only had those soupy crab meat in steam boat or yong tau fu. Great shall go for a change in eating fried crab meat. tQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fried crab sticks is something new to me..this year the fried sandwich popiah skin with seaweed is pretty popular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate some CNY crab sticks here and they were coated with flour. One fella coated it some light salt and icing sugar. Funny variations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told that crab sticks only contain 10% crab meat and mostly are fishes. They were popular in US long ago as many states have no sea to get fresh crabs. Now laku here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read so much about this fried crab stick but never try them. Must fry them myself one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm more drawn to Yan's Playboy cover! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aiyoh, see food post now I'm hungry pulak. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yan,

    Which issue of the Playboy magazine is that? I must order it online :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. i gotta agree this crispy crab stick is very nice and makes you can't stop eating!! i first tasted this couple of years back, and OMG, really "once you pop you can't stop"!! i have to stay away from it and avoid myself seeing that tub, haha~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't fancy the crab stick at all, in fact i do not like them in my noodles, soup and food etc.. but when it comes to tearing them into strips and deep frying them, it is indeed a very yummy snack i have to admit.. so flavorful thought i know it's sinfully high in calories and fats, hehehe~~

      Delete
  15. oh, Mak Yannie is making her own huat kuih for the prayers last night?? got vanilla flavor, indeed very western style, haha.. i think the traditional ones are plain flavor, but then they add in some red colorings right?? of course i think now very modern already, you can have all sorts of flavors for the huat kuih now.. oh, why didn't you make red velvet huat kuih?? it's bright red, very suitable for CNY mah~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fuyoh, hot mama got new background for her cakes!! haha, and the Playboy cover is so outstanding lah, sure people thought they will get free huat kuih from buying the magazines, haha!!

      Delete
  16. Hi Yan, I think this is a new snack this CNY.. Almost every house I went to had it.. its very addictive and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this snack too and I agree with you that once you start eating, you can't stop! But still have to control because it is heaty and fattening haha :p

    ReplyDelete
  18. They sell it at pasar malam during the CNY.
    I think one platic tin is about RM10...
    It should be very nice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you..
      The snack is very nice and once eaten it cannot be stop...

      Delete
  19. My kids love the fried crab stick too. I tried fried 2 times, but the outcome not good, not enough crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of these years, I must visit you during CNY! You have so many nice homemade goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy CNY to you Yan! I also made these for CNY. Agreed with you as they are quite easy to make and delicious to eat too. My kids love them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I ate this fried crabstick once only. I have no time to make this goodies la. This year my mum's hse don't have. You are making drool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gong Xi Fa Cai Yan! this year i did not make fried crab sticks, you belanja i makan lar, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  24. yes, they are very addictive and thanks for the tin that you all gave me. Next year you make, i come and take!! i've never tried making these, you know!

    ReplyDelete