Our April Fool day

16:57 Yannie 28 Comments

April Fool day, every time I went into the car, I would immediately on the radio and listen to My Melody FM, as I knew that there was Leslie Cheung special program all day long. No, this isn't about how much I miss him. No, this also isn't to tell how much I honestly love  him.

Evening, I off from office and driving to my daughters' school to pick them up, I was in time to catch a few of my favourites Leslie's songs. When my two girls got into my car, the radio was still on loud and clear. I would have turned off the radio on normal day, as my daughters would have a lot of things to share with me.

As expected, April told me about April Fool pranks that her classmates had on her, and also she created a few pranks to trick her classmates. She saw me not responsive enough, and only listening to Leslie's song engrossingly. She was puzzled.

Mom: Just listen to this song. Today is April Fool day. It was also a day to remember this singer. He called Leslie Cheung Kok Wing. He was famous when mummy was young like you. He was great. He could dance, act and sing. He was very good looking. He died 10 years ago on April Fool day. All his fans thought it was a prank, but it was real that he committed suicide.

April: Why? Why he committed suicide?

Mom: He was depressed.

April: Why he so depressed?

Mom: I don't know.

After dinner, when the girls were doing their homework in the study room, I was at the living room folding clothes. I on the TV, just hoping that I could catch some Leslie Cheung's special on Astro. Luck was on me.
 
I yelled to my girls, "There, he is Leslie. Come and have a look." They ran out from room.
 

April: I already know it, you are talking about this kind of yellowish old TV shows.

Mom was dumbfounded. Since when what I love has become yellowish old TV shows.
 

28 comments:

  1. Not really a fan of Leslie Cheung and only realized it was his death anniversary when I turned on the radio. My boy and his classmates pulled some pranks too at school like what we did during our days. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of his songs are very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really a fan of leslie, but listen to his songs will definitely bring me back to memory lanes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muahahahahahaha! Muahahahahaha! I love your daughter's remarks! Anay will someday become yellowish old man too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHHA

      I LOLed reading Yan's daughter too!

      Aiyoh, I'm old also since I like those yellowish shows too! ;p

      Delete
    2. Wakakakaka! Ah Hua also has become a yellowish granny. I love those old old classic shows, dramas and movies.

      Delete
  5. I also loved Leslie's songs very much! His voice was very good! Honestly, most celebrities used up all their merits too fast and kaput.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Leslie because he was so pretty and beautiful. He was the most beautiful man ever. I even snapped a photo with his wax figure in HK, but darn, my SIL didn't send me that photo. It was in her camera. I must remind her again (and again, and again).

      Delete
  6. Oh he was depressed partly due to the last movie he made where he could not let go the character he played. It sort of haunted him and that sent him into depressing mode. Where was his boyfriend when he was down????? That made him even more depressed to know the truths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol.. "yellow ish" nit ham sap hor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was April fool joke too at the news of his death

      Delete
  8. Time flies, 10 years already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is truly a hero for many people, just like Anita Mui.

      Delete
  9. now that when April Fool's Day comes, i will always remember him.. and it has been 10 years already since he departed.. i still remember a colleague told me at work about his suicide that day, took me so long to accept the fact..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was an April Fool's joke, too.

      And another person that I remembered fondly was Princess Diana. I came home from yum char session on Merdeka eve and heard the news she was killed in an accident. I couldn't believe myself.

      Both of them are my biggest inspiration.

      Delete
  10. watch a little bit of the concert held in HK, and i was rather disappointed with some of the performance of the younger pop singers, i don't expect that they can perform his songs as well but then many turned out to be unexpectedly bad..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha, your girl is cute lah, i mean the way she described the program.. yellowish old TV program!! hahaha.. well, come to think about it, weren't we describing the same thing for what our parents were watching during their time?? it's really a cycle.. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We described our parents' as black and white old TV program, kakakaka!

      Delete
  12. i miss him, he was really one of the greatest and shiniest stars in the chinese music industry..

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, he was a fine man but I didn't actually listen to his songs..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sheoh Yan, ha ha, I guess your dolls now growing up maybe on to Lady Gaga or whoever the latest....
    Regret I am not familiar with Malaysian singers today. Been away too long.
    We too have radio channels playing strictly oldies from the 50s, 60s and 70s...24 hours, as well Chinese channels too.

    I guess its fun seeing your girls growing up and their taste in clothes, fashions, music changing.....
    Just like when we were young once.
    Have fun, Sheoh Yan, and once again, thank you for the fireworks display at Niagara Falls, ha ha ha.
    Love your hilarious sense of humour...oh ya, someone just saluted you too.
    Stay young, stay beautiful.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Think he was depressed as his gay lover was two-timing him, no?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love some of his songs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No doubt I love his songs too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sheoh Yan, I left an April fool's joke in my present posting.
    And you, no one has spotted it yet, ha ha ha.
    Many looking for it but can't see or find the joke. It's there. Not in side bar.
    Main posting.
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahhha...so funny! Ashley said the same thing to me...old songs :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha! April's comment is so funny! When I was younger, I used to refer to those old shows (60s & 70s) as "yellowish" too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i do love some of leslie's songs..his 'Monica' was such a hit!

    ReplyDelete