Cocoa as the ingredient

07:52 Yannie 37 Comments

I  certainly didn't know how to describe my recent condition. I was busy at work and also busy at home too. I had a certain level of pressure until I lost some sleep. I could easily fall in sleep because of too exhaustion , but I woke up way earlier than the set time. So, I everyday also tired.

No matter how tired I was, I love baking. When I bake, my girls can have my cupcakes as their supper, breakfast and snack. Some I bring to work for my colleagues.

Thank Goodness, cupcakes that I baked under tension mind were having very good reviews from colleagues and my daughters.

The following are two very simple butter cake recipes that I baked last two weeks.

Chocolate Chips Cupcakes

Ingredients:

100g Butter
80g Sugar 
2 eggs
120g self raising flour 
20g cocoa powder
50g chocolate chips 
60g milk
Adequate chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the batter.

Method:
1. Cream the butter and sugar until well combined. Adding 1 egg at a time and make sure they are well-blended in each addition.
2. Add the flour into the mixture, mix well.
3. Gradually add in the milk.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into the cupcake cases, about 80% full, bake in a preheated oven of 150C  for about 25mins. (This is depended on  individual oven)
 
Chocolate and Orange Marble Squares
 (adapted from "brownies & bars" by Liz Franklin)

Makes 11 squares cupcakes
Preparation time : 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Ingredients:
250 gm / 9 oz butter
250 gm / 9 oz sugar (I use 200 gm)
4 eggs, beaten
250 gm / 9 oz self-raising flour, sifted
juice and zest of 1 orange 
3 tbsps cocoa powder
1 tbsps orange nectar (I use Sunquick brand)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 160C.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, stirring in between each addition, until the mixture is smooth and all the eggs are incorporated. Stir in the flour. Add the orange juice and zest. Spoon half of the mixture in dollops randomly over the base of the prepared cake tin.

Add the cocoa powder to the remaining mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Spoon the mixture in between the dollops of the orange mixture. Drag a wooden spoon handle lightly through the mixtures to create a slight swirl effect.

Bake for 30minutes or so, until golden and springy.


 

37 comments:

  1. Nice! Wahhhhh!!!! So generous with the chocolate chips! I wish I could bake... Sigh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, do things you like the most, you're stress free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely you bake together with the gals right? For their papa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cocoa is the ingredient, I like the title of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the chocolate chips one... so generous huh? Erm... zebra cake leh? Muahaha

    Wish you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also bake yesterday night.. take care and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally different from you...when I'm busy or tired, the last thing I want to do is step into the kitchen! Any work in the kitchen means stress to me, esp baking haha! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad to know that at least baking can help you destressed and feeling better.. then you should bake more cakes and get compliments from your fellow colleagues, and leave that "someone" sitting behind watching only but not invited to eat.. wakakakakaka!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both cupcakes are super delicious! One piece is certainly not enough for glutton Ah Hua.

      Yannie's skill are getting well polished! She can be crowned as the Butter Cake Queen!

      Delete
    2. Ah Hua you lucky devil and glutton to be able to enjoy all her bakings. KL bloggers like us eat haze and sand.

      Delete
  9. researches have found that there's some ingredients in chocolate that can make us happy after eating.. so cocoa or chocolate is the right choice in Hot Mama's recipe lah.. oooh, i especially like the orange chocolate one, i always think they make good combination and complement each other well.. do you think so??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to resume my chocolate eating habit in the office to de-stress!

      Delete
  10. coming weekend.. go to the gym to sweat it all out, bake some nice cakes, spend quality time with your JJ and princesses, and i guess you should feel a lot better.. and oh, not forgetting to chat with Anay too, he is really a nice person who listens and to talk to huh?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Anay sounds like grandfather ranting in watsap. I better slow down a bit.

      Delete
  11. wow, I love all those yummy cupcakes. Wish I am as hardworking as you. I used to bake but nowadays I prefer to do other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chocolate chip cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back to blogging!
    Would love to know more about your working environment la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your chocolate chips muffins looks good! Very chocolaty!

      Delete
  14. wow, they look so good. i guess baking is like a stress reliever for you huh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yan,
    Your cakes looks lovely! I have this book and have baked this too, quite sometime ago, and remember it being a very nice cake!
    You can link to my event, Cook-Your-Books.
    Hope you have a good and relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I better read only and dont attempt. sure fail one me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe when I go Taiping and if you have time i can learn from you la

      Delete
    2. How i wish i have your talent in baking. April and May so lucky to have home baked for them to eat

      Delete
    3. When you come to Taiping, Yannie will bake a dozen for you and Ah Hua bakes cheesecake for Kaldip and kitty cat. Er, pussy mama doesn't eat cheese, right? Cheesecake ok or no?

      Delete
    4. Pussy cats only eat dirty rats! !!!

      Delete
    5. Lol...got the orange muffin ka????

      Delete
  17. The cakes looks so good especially the chocolate chips cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cakes above... wonderfully nice especially they are fresh from the oven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Baking is a way to release tension, Yan. Nicely baked! Wish I can take a bite too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Baking is helpful to release tension. At least our mind is diverted and occupied. We bake for our family and friends who stand by us, giving moral support and shoulder to cry on.

    Gambateh ne, Yan san!

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I was a little girl, I loved it each time my mom baked something. I guess that is how your daughters feel whenever you bake now :D

    How I wish I can bake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aiyoh, I'm drooling over this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you know that cocoa and pure chocolates are good for our hearts? It makes our hearts happy too. Whoever you fed with your delicious cup cakes and squares will be happy with you. Good karma baker! Bagus!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sleeping disorders? Try Anay's method. Drink a glass of warm honey before sleep. Stretch your body and twist your body. Lie down on the bed and read a boring article with fan blowing your eyes. Bingo! You will doze off like a new born baby.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wah really yummy. I love the chocolate chips cupcakes, it look so rich and chocolate....luv it

    ReplyDelete
  26. the cupcakes look great! wish you all the best with the things that you are coping with..

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Cooking Course eBook of the year. Healthy recipes, chicken recipes and cooking recipes from around the globe. Forget expensive culinary schools.
    culinary schools

    ReplyDelete