Studies or sports?

11:41 Yannie 19 Comments

April was chosen to represent Perak for MSSM Ping Pong tournament in March.  Before she got to go to KL for MSSM tournament, she had also gone through district tournament MSSD and also state tournament MSSPK. We are certainly proud of her achievement in sports at such a young age.   
MSSD LMS players who are qualified to MSSM
However, she has to sacrifice her studies time for ping pong. She skipped school for more than a week during the centralized training for MSSM tournament.
April felt upset when missing school.  She told me umpteen times that she did not like to be absent from school for the training.  I could sense her sadness when her coach coming to fetch her to the training in those mornings that she supposed to leave for school. I missed her smiley face during her training weeks. 
Players from all districts in Perak. Only 20 players qualified for MSSM
On the other hand, I was stressed too, as I needed to take her to her classmate’s house after her training. She had to catch up with all the homework that she missed.  She had to complete the school homework, and then she had to go for tuition class in the evening.  I could not afford to see her missing school and skipping tuition classes at the same time.    
April is number 4th under 13 female
She was worn out juggling between studies and ping pong training. I pitied her. I talked to her dad that I wanted her to just focus on studies and forget about ping pong tournament from next year onward.  I feel that study is more important than being good in sports. Her dad did not agree. We argued.  We finally agreed to hear from April. 
MSSM Perak Ping Pong Team
 I shared with her about my concern on her absence from school.  I could sense her pressure too taking care of studies and sports.  All we want is a happy kid but not a champion child.  I also said to her, if she is coping up well in both, I am fine too.  We will work hard together with her and we will help her in her studies.
April and her team mates listened to briefing from coach
 April just said, “I don’t like and I don’t want to miss school, mummy.”
She loves going to school more than the training. She is a good student.  

So far, we were being very supportive in all of her ping pong tournaments; we took leaves to accompany her; we bear with all the expenses during our stay there. Needless to say, the time and money spent in her ping pong lessons. 
LMS (Larut Matang dan Selama) players ready to go to MSSM
April did not say that she wants to quit playing ping pong.  I guess, we have to be more selective in the tournament and its training. I will only agree to enroll her if it won’t affect her schooling time

19 comments:

  1. No need to worry too much about studies at this stage - just keep up with the rest, must pass everything, good enough.

    More important to do what one loves the most - a healthy balanced lifestyle. It's not all about excellent grades - no use, all the rote-learning robots. May work against them in the end and they will not understand why when they score in everything. And they blame the government, they blame the system, they blame everybody but themselves. Real pathetic, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arthur, I like you input, I keep what you said in my mind. Thank you for sharing with me about studies.

      Delete
  2. i would think ping pong is her talent and it's good to actually unleash her potentials in this area, after all, not all have that opportunity to play well and for April's case, he has already gone to the MSSM level, that is indeed a very good achievement i frankly think you should not just stop her, she's still young and she's got lots of potential to improve and move forward..

    i guess it's merely how you find a balance between her studies and her ping-pong thingy.. at this stage, if she can still manage to cope with both together, i don't see it's now a point to make decision to ditch either one, for she is still young to decide her road ahead.. and of course, you also need to talk to the coach on how to minimize the impact on her studies.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many told me so. I hope we can find a balance between studies and sports, especially April. She has top in the form for 3 years. She finds it hard to retain in same position. We just need to respect her decision. As long as April is happy, I will support her wholeheartedly.

      Delete
  3. Hope April will find a balance.

    She has a rare talent that not everyone else has.

    All the best to April. In both her studies and her sports

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, it can be really difficult to choose between sports n studies, especially living in a country with such expectations on good grades. I used to have this struggle back in school days, choosing between running or studies. I had to give up the sports. But now since moving overseas with families, seeing how so many mature students enroll in uni, people working in jobs that are not their studied degrees, people persueing their dreams than stuck in 9-5 jobs. I think having the right attitude to studies n sports, or even arts, are important. I think it is better to enjoy what you do best, than regretting later in life. So if she loves studies, let her study. N if she still likes to play ping pong, but not at a competitive level, just let her join a non-competitive club. Nothing is worse than being forced in doing something she is not happy with.

    Hope she enjoys both n have her smile back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin also have to skip school because of his lion dance training...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is indeed a very tough choice to make. Being good in sports gives April a very bright future because it pays very well. At the same time, studies is just as important. If she has no problem catching up with her lessons, just let her continue with training. But like you said, just do whatever that makes her happy. All the best, April! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day, when the time is right, she might be offered a place in a sport school. I dunno if they have it in Perak but they sure have it here in KL. Then she can balance her pingpong and studies but the question is, will she want to relocate? Difficult choice indeed. But whatever it is, we are all so proud of April on her pingpong achievements. She is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, Happy Mother's Day Yan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. April have a good head since she have a good contoh like you. Good idea on participating on selective tournament

    ReplyDelete
  10. We definitely share your joy and happiness to see your daughter's success in sports at such young age. She is definitely growing up in right paths to become a useful citizen in future. Such kids will definitely become well organized and disciplined. Bagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I think back of my childhood days where I hardly had activities on weekends at school as our house was too faraway from school and i would have to take public bus plus walking to reach school 2 hours away! So I didn't join any sports ~ shame lah me! I asked myself why my parents were not supportive like Yannie & Jin Jin? No answer.

      Delete
  11. let her choose..
    however just explain to her what is the pro and con for ping pong n studies...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done to April. I guess she should follow her heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to April for being chosen to represent State Level in Ping Pong. She is really a talented girl. But I can understand your stress too about her missing schools and go to friend's house to collect homework.

    I think sports are as important as studying. Maybe April shouldn't give up her sports which she might regret later, but just minimized her involvement in sports at the time being until she is older. All the best to April. Hope she will be able to smile happily again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guess we need to balance up between sports and academic. It is hard to do so in real life. You have 2 wonderful and beautiful girls. And talented too. Well done to April.

    All the best to her and the sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not everyone has this opportunity to come to that far, to drop it would be a loss for April. For me, I would suggest to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete