Homemade snowskin mooncakes

15:02 Yannie 8 Comments

Since last year, I have bookmarked this recipe. I manage to accomplish my last year wish this mooncake festival. To my surprise, my two princesses enjoy making these snowskin mooncakes very much.  I prepare all the ingredients like the ready mixed koh flour with icing sugar, shortening and ice water. I knead half of the flour with pandan and half of the flour with pink colouring. I used pandan filling for pink dough and red bean filling for pandan dough.  My two princesses helped me to wrap the filling inside the dough. I would say that they have done a pretty good job in shaping the mooncakes. They have so much fun playing with this edible dough. 
The first batch wasn’t really looked good.

They showed some improvement on the second batch. 


Although all the ingredients were actually bought from store, they tasted yummy too. May be because we homemade these ourselves. Perhaps next year I should try to bake mooncakes.   

Happy Mid Autumn, folks.

Colourful Snowskin Mooncakes 彩色冰皮月饼(recipe source: adapted the basic recipe from Sonia,with changes)*makes 8pcs (for one colour)
38g Koh hun (cooked glutinous rice flour) 糕粉
38g Icing sugar糖粉
13g Shortening白油
45g Iced Cold water冷水
White lotus paste filing
Method  
1.   Weigh lotus paste of 20g each. Shape into rounds and set aside.
2.   Sieve koh fun and icing sugar into a big bowl. Rub in the shortening and add in iced water, mix to form a dough. Remove and roll into a long strip. Scale at 15g each and roll into rounds. Flatten and wrap in lotus paste balls. 
3.   Place the dough into a mooncake mould. Press firmly, dislodge imprinted mooncake from mould.

8 comments:

  1. finally Yannie the Hot Mama is back with some baking mojo?? hehehe.. great, it's Mid-Autumn Festival coming Monday and you are all set to make your own snowskin mooncakes!! i guess it was surely fun to have both your princesses to help you out in the kitchen, and no doubt they would be enjoying the whole process.. though Uncle SK has to be frank that the mooncakes were not perfectly done, but the girls' participation was surely 100% and they will be given 110% considering they are still school kids.. surely they will improve and make perfect snowskin mooncakes soon, even from scratch!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. homemade ones taste good bcos they are made with love ..hehe....中秋节快乐!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did 2 batches of snowskin mooncakes too, first batch was not good, I put too much green food coloring and the end results look 'gerli', I ate one then throw the rest away.

    Second time, lesson learnt, I put just one drop and the color turned out nice. And the texture is better too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup....when i made it, J also enjoy "chop" the mooncakes. Snowskins are quite fun to make

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You all really have the heart to make all these mooncakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely snowskin mooncakes the gals made under mama's eyes! Next time they will have lots of admirers as they will be every mother-in-law's dreams!! They can bake, cook, draw and even play ping-pong!!! Thumbs up! Next year I bet your flavours will increase to chocolate, almonds, strawberries and durians too!!! Eh, your photography skills are very bagus & excellent now with nicer flowers, plates and lace! What happened to the same old orchid? Muahahahaha

    My cruise part 2 is calling you in my blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see everyone enjoyed making and later eating these mooncakes. Good activity for your girls.

    ReplyDelete