Pumpkin mantou fever

12:11 Yannie 11 Comments

I always wanted to make mantou (Chinee bun), but then I did not have the courage until only recently. I worried that my mantou (馒头)will turn out to be "sek tou" (石头).

When I tried for the first time, I made the swiss roll shape pumpkin mantou, My girls loved them. I felt motivated, and I kept on trying.
Second times, I made different shapes of  mantou. Croissant, flower, rose and triangle shapes, and I still used pumpkin and purple sweet potatoes, because both of them can give the natural sweetness.


Next time, I must learn to put different fillings inside the mantou.


I made many, thank Goodness my princesses love them. I gave some of these mantou to my PIL and my colleagues too.


I personally heart these rose pumpkin mantou the most. They were just soft and fluffy, and I did not need to steam them again when I ate on the next day.

Pumpkin Rose Buns 南瓜玫瑰形馒头
*makes 10 buns
(Recipe source is taken from Sonia A.K.A. Nasi Lemak Lover)
90g mashed pumpkin
25g fresh milk
1/2tsp instant yeast
200g plain flour
35g sugar (reduce to 25g if you prefer less sweet)
20g corn oil

Method


  1. Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl then combine well and knead till smooth. Set aside to rest for 15mins.
  2. Weight the dough into 15g each and roll into ball. Roll out 5 pieces into round thin shape, and roll a small piece of dough like a small log (two ends smaller).
  3. Layer the rolled out pieces of dough so that they overlap each other. Place a chopstick in the middle and press down lightly over the layered circles of dough, to secure in place. Put the log-shaped piece of dough at the end of circle of dough.
  4. Roll up the pieces by holding at the middle of dough, then halve the dough using a knife.
  5. Place the wrapped dough cut side down on a paper. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
  6. Put the rose shaped buns in a steamer, and leave to rise for 20mins.
  7. Bring water to a boil in a steamer. Steam the rose buns over high heat for 15 minutes.

This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by  Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY)  and hosted by  Eileen (Eileen's Diary).

11 comments:

  1. I love plain mantau. Can eat like that or stuff meat in it. Never try a pumpkin mantau before. It looks fun to make mantau from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting!

    I like mantau.

    I like pumpkin too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. muahaha this Yannie is so humorous dei.. mantou becomes shitou!!! I like this quote, really cracks me up..

    but then where got shitou?? all your mantou so beautiful leh.. I've never seen mantou in all these beautiful shapes before, I thot those layering roll type already the best I've seen until I saw pictures of Yannie's beautiful mantou..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loves steamed mantou. I'll try your recipe one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantous look lovely Yan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wah the purple and pumpkin sure looks yummmy....thanks for the recipe. may try make this but you know la....if jadi i baru post up. me a klutz when making this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of mantou variety.... but how come I no eat any? Heheheh, next time remember to keep at least 2 mantou for me, ya~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love your natural flavour mantou. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love to eat mantou! I heard from a restaurant who steams them fresh on the spot that they are easy to make but theirs are so plain and ugly. You should sell your beautiful flavoured ones to all restaurants. This is the first time I see pretty mantou roses in a plate. Yannie so pandai!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..the mantou looks awesome. I never good in making bun but I love to see those who comes out with delicious and pretty one.hehhe

    ReplyDelete