I can't run because of Achilles tendinitis

12:00 Yannie 16 Comments

The story began when I came back from Malacca trip, I felt terribly guilty for having feast on so much Malacca food.  I arrived home at 5pm, I unpacked and packed again, I reached gym at 7pm. I ran with full force and strong will power, trying to burn all the calories which I gained in 5 days at one shot. I was so greedy to achieve the intensity by increasing the speed and also the gradient of the treadmill. I felt pain at my right ankle half way through the run. I ignored the pain, and continued to reach the targeted mileage and calories that I had set in my mind.

After 1.5 hours run, I  burned 900 + calories and completed 13km. I was so satisfied but I came down from the treadmill with my right leg limping. I thought the pain would go away after I got up from the bed on the next day. I skipped my run for one day, but my right foot still hurt when I walked. So, I walked a bit and ran a bit for the subsequent few days until I went to Penang to get foot massage at the beach. The foot massage didn't make me feel any better. I still limped when I walked. It was getting more painful especially when I stepped down the staircase.

 Finally, I decided to see the panel doctor. The panel doctor referred me to see orthopaedic surgeon. After X-ray and diagnosis, doctor confirmed that I had Achilles tendinitis.

I search in Google, the definition of Achilles tendinitis is as below.

"Achilles tendinitis is an overuse injury of the Achilles tendon, the band of tissue that connects calf muscles at the back of the lower leg to your heel bone.
Achilles tendinitis most commonly occurs in runners who have suddenly increased the intensity or duration of their runs. It's also common in middle-aged people who play sports, such as tennis or basketball, only on the weekends." 
Doctor prescribed me anti-inflammation/pain relieve medicine and suggested me to go through a series of physiotherapy treatments.  

I applied Fastum gel at my ankle, as it could heal the pain faster.


My gym buddies told me to use compressive elastic bandages or ankle guard to wrap my foot. It can help reduce swelling and reduce movement of the tendon.

Besides, doctor also advised me to rest. Meaning, I need to avoid exercise for several days or switch to an activity that doesn't strain the Achilles tendon, such as swimming. T____T

I told you all right? I am a gymaholic. I felt upset for not being able to run. I felt uneasy and I couldn't be my normal self especially I needed to limp whenever I walked.

It was the most saddening part when I needed to miss my virgin run on the road. I had registered myself long ago for the Taiping Run on 21 December. Because of this run, I trained myself to complete 6.5km in less than 40 minutes. When the day was here, I couldn't make it .

G-7277, I like this number, but I couldn't wear it on that day. I felt so sad. On 21 December, my right ankle was still very stiffed. I guess I need to wait for the next year. I wanted so much to do my first run in my own town.

When I typing this post, I am no longer limping, but I still feel a bit of pain at the side of my ankle when I walk. I will resume my run after the next check up appointment. I can't wait to run again. I have already stopped running for 3 weeks. During these 3 weeks, I still went to gym everyday to do strength training for my upper part of body.

Apparently, there are ways to prevent Achilles tendinitis. I have to keep the following prevention steps in my mind.

While it may not be possible to prevent Achilles tendinitis, you can take measures to reduce your risk:
  • Increase your activity level gradually. If you're just beginning an exercise regimen, start slowly and gradually increase the duration and intensity of the training.
  • Take it easy. Avoid activities that place excessive stress on your tendons, such as hill running. If you participate in a strenuous activity, warm up first by exercising at a slower pace. If you notice pain during a particular exercise, stop and rest.
  • Choose your shoes carefully. The shoes you wear while exercising should provide adequate cushioning for your heel and should have a firm arch support to help reduce the tension in the Achilles tendon. Replace your worn-out shoes. If your shoes are in good condition but don't support your feet, try arch supports in both shoes.
  • Stretch daily. Take the time to stretch your calf muscles and Achilles tendon in the morning, before exercise and after exercise to maintain flexibility. This is especially important to avoid a recurrence of Achilles tendinitis.
  • Strengthen your calf muscles. Strong calf muscles enable the calf and Achilles tendon to better handle the stresses they encounter with activity and exercise.
  • Cross-train. Alternate high-impact activities, such as running and jumping, with low-impact activities, such as cycling and swimming.

16 comments:

  1. oh dear..take it easy..rest well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wenn for your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Do take good care, rest well, don't overstrain, hope you will be as good as new soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need to rest your foot. Dont over strain it. Swimming is a good alternative to gym. Less injury in swimming.

    Happy new year to you and family, Yannie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your injury will heal fast as sometimes these unseen areas could take longer than expected. Remember why I never took up cycling after getting a bike? I squatted down on a too low stool and braked suddenly. I heard my groin area creaked and my ligament must have snapped and it took more than 4 years to heal itself. I lost interest to cycle now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aiyoyo.. Take care dearie.. You force yourself, felt good, burnt some calories but what happened after that? Sendiri susah leh.. Rest well okie and hope the injury heals faster :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully I do not have this condition, but it is nice of you to post it to help others who do. I have had gout and pseudogout, though, which can be pretty painful but the doctors put me on meds to prevent it as I was getting it severely and often. I have never run, but I love to walk, and I enjoy taking walks in nature. You have a very nice blog. Happy New Year and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to add that I think it would be good to rest your foot and not over strain it. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesson learn, next time do things in moderate ;)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, sorry to hear that!! hope your leg is getting better and recovering now, or best still, fully recovered and you are already back to running in the gym!! well, 見過鬼怕黑 hope with the advices you have, you will be taking better care of yourself when you are working out in the gym.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how it feels. I am also those who cannot miss the gym. I workout from Sun - Thurs which includes running and weights and now I am interested in running long distance after my virgin 10Km run last Dec. Rest well and let it heal slowly. Meanwhile, you can do 'rowing' exercises which don't involved the legs as well as upper body strength training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no....hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have a speedy recovery, Yan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yan, wish you speedy recovery. Take care, don't over strain yourself.

    Best regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  14. determination is good , go beyond will create risks . follow your heart and wisdom . Speedy full recovery before the CNY ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speedy recovery to you Yan! Thank you for sharing the info on how to prevent this.

    ReplyDelete