Misua soup

11:09 Yannie 14 Comments

Chinese New Year is just around the corner. I would like to know, what you normally eat on CNY day 1 as breakfast? 

Many years, I would go to my PIL's house for breakfast, my MIL would cook us sweet dessert soup and we would eat with some other CNY cookies, snacks and cakes. 

I am thinking of cooking Misua soup on CNY day 1 as breakfast this year for my family. 

These were the misua soup that I served to my family on my husband's birthday last  year.  
I put chicken drumsticks in bak kut teh soup that I boiled with some pork ribs, dry mushrooms and garlic.
Some people believe that eating misua on birthday and CNY symbolizes longevity. 

I never forget to serve some green vegetables as the side dish on every meal.

This year on CNY day 1, I am thinking of boiling 8 treasures herb soup (八珍烫) and put in misua, hard boiled eggs and green vegetables as the breakfast.

Please share with me, if you have other ideas that is good to eat as breakfast on CNY day 1. 

14 comments:

  1. My home, it is always vegetarian on Day 1 (although I'll cheat if I go out), and there will be longevity noodles..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you foochow ? I usually had vegetarians in loh hon chai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first day of CNY?? always standar for us, i mean for the past 30 over years i am eating the same thing.. it will be vegetarian in the morning until afternoon.. so what we have every 1st day of CNY?? simple fried beehoon, vegetarian (cabbage, black fungus, beansheets and toufu) and then also one sweet soup (lotus seeds, gingko, longan).. that's it.. simple one because soon after that we will be steamboating *again* for lunch.. yes, every year we have steamboat for reunion dinner, and the next couple of days, we need to steamboat again to clear up the stock~~ so i probably only steamboat once a year during CNY :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo...looks good. For us, mee sua would be the first thing in the morning on the 1st day of Chinese New Year when we wake up, Foochow tradition...but no veg in ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any good idea for you Yannie. At my in laws, we too have misua soup every year during 初一。。Anyway I like it, can wallop big bowl with lots of fishballs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to cook misua soup too. At times I just cooked noodles for breakfast on CNY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CNY day 1 we will eat chai (vegetarian) at in-laws place. But I like eating mee suah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I eat nasi lemak bought from the stall in front of my FIL house :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back to my parents' house, we will have porridge on 1st day as they observe the vegetarian practice. Now I am married, I will have chicken mee suah for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would probably go to in laws house if there is any invitation. If not we would have simple meal of what we can find in our fridge..I do not go for Chinese New Year shopping to stock up food stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea my mum cooks Mee Suah in Red Wine Soup every first day of CNY but I've since have to give it a miss since I'm now married and first day normally I won't be home... :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year same, vegetarian at mil's house, eat from morninh til night.. Then 'hoi zhai' on 2nd day.. I'll cheat and ask hubby take me go eat Big Mac on day1, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was small and before the Maggi Mee was invented, we only had Misua to eat as near instant noodles! I love them with fondest memories always. I want to cook them for my parents sometimes since it is easy to swallow for old people. Thanks for this reminder.
    I also love those fried Misua by the hawkers as they smell so fragrant with eggs thrown in.

    ReplyDelete