Steamed Wheat Cream Cracker

16:49 Yannie 9 Comments

I bought a tin Julie's Wheat Crackers from one hypermarket. It was sold so much cheaper than it usual price. I was so happy and I thought that I was so lucky to spot it. After reaching home, my 11 years old daughter, April reminded me to check at the biscuit's expiry date.  I was surprised to learn that it could last for less than 10 days. OMG! How am I supposed to finish these crackers in 10 days. I may need to eat these crackers as breakfast, lunch and tea time in order to finish them in 10 days. If I could really finish 700g crackers in 10 days, I would sure put on 7kg by then. Is no joke!

Luckily, I converted the wheat crackers into something else that could be shared easily with friends. I blended wheat crackers into crumbs to use it as one important ingredient in my bake.
I steamed wheat crackers layered cake.

I made cream crackers layered cake a few times previously

However, this is my first time using wheat crackers.

Overall, it tastes better, just that the texture is a bit harder.

I packed some to office to share with my colleagues. I also gave some to my gym buddy. It still tasted good after keeping for a few days, but it needed to be steamed again before eating. 

Steamed Cream Crackers Cake
Original recipe from Peng's Kistchen
Ingredient
6 eggs
200gm unsalted butter
150gm sugar
300gm wholemeal wheat crackers, processed till fine
20gm cocoa powder
1 tsp chocolate emulco
Method
  1. Grease and lined a 7" square pan. Preheat steamer.
  2. Using a electric whisk, cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
  4. Fold in wheat crackers.
  5. Divide mixture into 3 equal portions. Add in cocoa powder and chocolate emulco into 1 portion.
  6. Pour in a layer of plain batter into prepared pan and steam on high heat for 10mins.
  7. Pour in chocolate layer and spread evenly over steamed plain layer, steam on high heat for another 10mins.
  8. Pour in the final plain batter over the chocolate layer and steam on high heat for 25-30mins until thoroughly steamed through.
  9. Remove pan from steamer. Unmould cake and cool completely on wire rack before slicing.

If you are clicking at the below links to see my earlier versions of cream crackers layered cakes, you should be able to tell that my wheat crackers layered cake is so much better looking now. Happy! I have improved. 

(31 May 2012)

Folks, Gong Xi Fa Cai and Happy Chinese New Year. 

9 comments:

  1. This one looks good Yannie, colors also very even!

    I wanna wish you and family a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes.. that's a smart idea!! instead of forcing yourself to finish the biscuits, or just throw it away, Yannie thought of "converting" them into something more interesting and delicious!! and yes, the wheat cracker cake does look like a cake, can't reall tell by looking at the texture from the photo that this is made of biscuits leh.. amazing and I am rather impressed!! and most of all, there's improvement and that tells you what?? 新年進行!! :)

    and lastly let me take this opportunity to wish JAMY a CNY full of happiness, health and wealth.. GONG XI FA CAI!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried this Wheat Crackers Layer Cake and I know it is delicious from the photos. I would just hentam and eat anything nice whether I would turn fat or thin. I live in the present always and leave my fat worries another day.
    LINA and I are know shoppers who buy almost expired stuffs at the Lelong corners at Cold Storage. So far we are still alive and hearty. Wakakakaka
    GONG XI FA CAI to you and your wonderful family again. A happy family like yours is a good blessing and very few could boast this nowadays. Kudos JAMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh? This looks great! Gotta try it sometime - on ordinary days. Nanti disaster, nothing to serve people. Hehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds easy to me.

    Gong xi fa cai to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, you turn the crackers into some nice cakes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your steamed cake looks so good, looks like normal baked cakes, you are so clever la, yummmzzz

    ReplyDelete