Campus singing contest

15:54 Yannie 38 Comments


My daughters school is going to held the parental / teacher-student campus singing contest (亲子/师生校园歌唱比赛) .  This singing contest is sponsored by " 南洋商報;Nányáng Shāngbào and CARLSBERG".  We get to know this singing contest in July and the contest date is in September. We have two months to prepare for the duet song.

My 9 years-old May was the first to show her interest in the contest. My 11 years-old April was not so keen to join. However, me, being a supportive and sporting parent,  I pestered my husband to join the singing contest too. Our plan is May sings a duet with me, and April sings a duet with Papa. We informed their music teacher in school, their teacher was delighted with our participation and immediately passed us 2 forms.

While we were in the midst of thinking of what duet songs to sing, I got to know that one of April's classmates is going to take part in the singing contest with her elder cousin sister. Both of them are pretty good singers, especially the elder cousin sister had won herself several champions in local singing contests. April's classmate too won herself many champions in campus singing contests.

April who was not keen to join said,"Mommy, then there is no point for us to join anymore, they sure win."

I wanted to encourage her by saying, "That is ok, we just do our best."

April again said, "She(her classmate) can't just sing with parents and teachers, why must her sing with her big cousin sister? "

I was speechless. I have to agree with her that is what written in the singing contest form. She understood that every one should follow the rule and regulation of the contest.


Let me translate the singing contest rule and regulation as below.
1. This singing contest is opened: Parents/Teachers/PTA(Parents Teachers Association)
2. Two person in a group: Parent-Child/Teacher-Student/PTA-Student relationships.

There is not stated in the rule and regulation that the relationship of Relative-Student is allowed. After much thought and consideration, I decided to text the music teacher on what we think. I told her that it is not fair to accept the relationship of the duet participants other than what is stated in the form, and we wanted to withdraw from joining.

I thought that the school would re-do the singing contest form with new rule and regulation after I made the complaint.

I was informed by the music teacher on the next day that the school has decided to disqualify those relative-child participation. Period.

April's classmate is not taking part finally. April and Papa too have decided to withdraw. May insists to go ahead, I have no choice but to proceed with her.

Now, May and me have started to practice our duet song over and over again, be it at home and at the singing lessons which we purposely engaged for this singing contest.

We are anxiously waiting for the date to step on to the stage. This is my first time taking part in such singing contest. To be honest, I have stage fright worse than May, I am getting nervous. I just wish that I can sing the whole song without any mistake. 

38 comments:

  1. woot woot!! singing competition dei, that will be fun huh?? did Mak Yannie go and investigate how many participants will there be that night?? maybe just like what April was thinking, if Mak Yannie and May are participating, sure win and other students also have no intention to participate already, hahaha... but why huh?? April and JJ withdrew from the competition last minute??

    what will be Mak Yannie and May sing for the competition?? ooopsss, i think this must be a secret so that the other competitors won't know.. so every night both of you were singing, not only in the singing class but also when you go to the karaoke and even at home, especially during shower time?? hahaha.. all the best from Uncle SK!! :)

    BTW, to my understanding 家長 means 家中長輩 so that does not necessary means the parents (though generally we would mean parents with that) but could be any one elder in the family, of course at least one generation above.. so it can be parents, uncles and aunties, grandparents but cannot be just cousin because they are of the same generation.. if the organiser want to be more specific to allow only parents, then they should use the term 父母 instead, maybe Mak Yannie should text the teacher again and make this suggestion.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, thanks for your input here. I really appreciate it. I immediately shared with April on what Uncle SK has written here. It is so clever of you to tell me the definition of 家長 means 家中長輩. I have texted the teacher about the suggestion. Well said, SK.

      Delete
    2. April and Papa decided to withdraw as they both think that this Campus Singing Contest has lots of hassle and "double standard". Those hassle has stopped them to proceed further.

      Delete
    3. April wants her classmate to feel a bit better, since her classmate cannot join, she withdraws too. If April joins, she worries that her classmate would feel not "balance".

      Delete
  2. I used to go Karaoke to sing on the stage in the main hall, just be yourself, keep on singing and you won't be scare, just enjoy the moment

    I saw that the sponsors of this singing competition is Carlsberg? Like not suitable for school competitions leh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, thanks for your kind thoughts and input. You are so right that we have to be ourselves and enjoy the song while we sing.

      Delete
  3. This will be fun. Good luck to you and May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did right! Rules are rules - once they are made, they must be followed, cannot band even a little bit. Otherwise, what for make the rules? Might as well not have any, free for all!

    Too bad April and the papa have pulled out too - they should reconsider. Join for the fun of it, it's not all about winning. Great opportunity for parent-child bonding. Good luck, all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arthur, spot on. I agree so much with you.

      April and Papa pulled out as Papa said,"Campus Singing Contest also has so much hassle. I don't know want to involve anymore." This was said when I told him about my complaint to the music teacher through text message.

      Delete
  5. You just saved April's friend from being gossiped about I think. I would be more sinister and let the thing go on. I'm sure not just April, but many would question why this supposed-to-be-disqualified duet are allowed to take place? Even if the friend win, she will be the laughing stock for many for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RealGunners, it is so wise of you to think so. I didn't think of that also. I just think that i should complain before the contest and not after that.

      Delete
  6. Good luck. I wouldn't dare to sing in front of anyone except in the church choir..haaaaa...
    The school must stick to its rules, or else can call for disqualify..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Agnes, thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. April's right, and you did the right thing by checking with her teachers.. But I'm thinking, her friend can still join, for fun, with her parents.. To me, it's for the fun and experience, not just to win.. But I understand kids, they want to win, then only they feel happy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Ribbon, I join for experience, fun and great bonding memory with my daughter. Win or lose is not really important, but I seek for fair competition with other groups.

      Delete
    2. Princess Ribbon, her classmate can still join, if her parents or aunties or uncles or grandparents or teachers want to sing with her. Certainly cannot be paired with cousins.

      Delete
  8. Just practise more and I am sure you can do it! Jia you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect. I got it, thanks Chris.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sporting of you. I would be terrified.

    Ya...It's kinda unfair for those "professional" to join in . Give hance la to other student la.

    Aiks...why April and Papa withdraw?

    Jiayoh , Yannie and May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. psss....ask Papa to record ya of the competrition

      Delete
    2. Meow, you are sporting too, I see you joining Joshua's sport day event. Papa hates hassle and politic in campus. April wants her classmate to feel better, since her classmate cannot join, she withdraws too.

      Delete
  11. Yannie, how exciting! It would be nerve wrecking but fun also. Keep practicing and sing in the shower hah..hah... Remember, on that day, enjoy the moment because once it is over, you will be like "aiyo, it was so much fun! I should have been more relaxed. How I wish I could do it all over again!". All the best to you and May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will sure try to enjoy the moment. My first time on stage singing with my daughter. We are going for fun, win or lose doesn't matter.

      Delete
  12. I admire your determination always when it comes to contests. You would go all out to put your thoughts, heart and soul to plan it well. I remember your company's Pop Yeh Yeh dressing that completed with sunglasses, bangles and matching dresses. You all did it for fun and laughter with open hearts and mind. Win or no win doesn't matter, right? It's the happy bonding and legacy your kids will cherish forever that Mummy Yannie was there for everything. This is how I think of my mummy now as my heart still aches a bit. You are a good mummy who wins Anay's Gold Medal.....

    I would have done like Papa and April to stand aside. I will go to karaoke and have my own blast with the mike for 5 hours!
    Good luck to you and May. You will attract all the aunties out there to know they need to exercise and tone up like Yannie! Ahem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anay, we purposely sign up courses to learn our competition song. We sing at home too. Yes, I must go to KTV to sing as well.

      I scold them and nag them like an evil mom every day. How could I be Anay's Gold Medal mom. Thanks Anay.

      Delete
    2. The saying goes that sometimes it has to be cruel to be kind. You only have this short period to nag now or never. Letchumy the education psychology expert has pointed out that many parents missed the chance to groom and nag their kids when they passed 12 years old when their characters have been set. So you still win Anay's Gold Medal laaaaa.... Muahahaha

      Delete
  13. Woww...sounds fun and nervous at the same time. Good luck to you and your girl, Yan. I am sure I will expect to see a good performance put by the the mom and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I can put up a good performance that day, I really hope so. Hahaha! I am getting nervous already. Thanks.

      Delete
  14. You are really a great mom to support your child in her interest. I don't think I can do that....too chicken. Anyway, wish you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck in the contest. That a big moral boost for your girl.

    Glad the school is strict and disqualify those unqualified registration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I know about this contest, no wonder you said you were practising singing ;)

    All the best ya Yannie! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, it sounds interesting! All the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck Yan! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow wish your daughter good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yan, I can't wait to read more. All the best to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the best to you and May! You are right to point out to the teacher the rules on the form. They should not have accepted the girl cousin pairing.

    ReplyDelete