Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake

14:22 Yannie 20 Comments

I mentioned in my earlier post that we baked him a cake. I found a recipe that is simple and nice to do - Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake. Therefore I informed my two daughters that we were going to make a cake for papa as his birthday cake this year.

In fact it is a steamed cake that is easy for people to do without oven. It looks great after removing from fire.

I have my two girls to decorate the cake by dusting the icing sugar, colourful balls, and chocolate chips. Pardon their first time in decorating the cake, it is my fault for not giving them a good training beforehand.

The cake was cut after keeping in the refrigerator for one day.

I would prefer the cake to be taller. I had used a pan which is too large for the cake.

Luckily, after he tried a slice of it, he wanted another slice. Awww! I was so happy that he likes the cake.

The cake was still very nice to eat after keeping for 2 days in the refrigerator. I am sure going to make this cake again.

Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake
Recipe is adapted with minor modification from Vivian Pang Kitchen.
Ingredients:~
(A)
180g butter
60g caster sugar
60g light brown sugar
200g full cream evaporated milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of rum (optional, I omitted this)
(B)
2 eggs, slightly beaten with fork
(C)
100g all-purpose flour
50g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
~Chocolate ganache topping
100g dark chocolate
100g dairy whipping cream
Some chocolate rice for sprinkle (I used colour balls, icing sugar and chocolate chips)
Methods:
1. Put all (A) ingredients into a saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Remove from heat and allow to cold completely.
2. Add beaten eggs into (A) and stir till well mix.
3. Sift dry ingredients from (C) into a mixing bowl. Pour in butter egg mixture(from step 2) and whisk to combine.
4. Pour batter into a greased and lined 8 or 9 inch round baking pan. Bring a pot of water to rapid boil. Place the cake into the steamer and cover loosely with an aluminium foil. Lower the heat to medium and steam the cake for about 45 minutes.
5. Cool cake in pan before turning out for decoration.
6. Prepare ganache topping by cooking chocolate and cream over double boiler method. Once most of the chocolate melted remove from heat. Stir till smooth and pour the ganache over cake. Sprinkle top with some chocolate rice. Serve!


20 comments:

  1. how sweet that YAM made a chocolate cake for JJ on his birthday, sure 甜在口里甜入心底 lah, i think whatever cake you made for him, sue JJ will ask for more and finish the whole cake..

    the cake looks good, this is the type of moist chocolate cake i like.. i don't usually like chocolate cake but this type of very moist and rich and dense and chocolatey cake, yes!! haha, i actually think the decoration on the looks okay mah, it's the creativity of the two girls, not those conventional decoration by the professionals but kind of arty kids creation.. except that the icing sugar isn't sprinkled averagely, the color balls actually looks nice leh..

    wait.. the cake looks very clean on top, and no holes.. Yannie didn't put candles on the cake and get JJ to blow them after you sing him a birthday song and asked him to make a birthday wish??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yannie, I can see that the cake you steamed is moist! No wonder hubby asked for another slice since it is a very good cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet of you to do that specially for your darling. My missus is not bothered at all, would just go out and buy...if I feel like having a cake for my birthday. Outside, where got the same? No special ingredient - love! Sobsssss!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks good.

    And so special since you made it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the cake is nicely decorated. Made with love! I want to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been so long since I last bake! I think I don't know how to bake already la! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no talent in baking and cooking

    ReplyDelete
  8. But simple recipes I still can try

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, hopped over to some of your old posts, gosh you look so good in cheongsam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, steamed moist cake is nice to eat. I want to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nowadays everyone bakes their cake without using oven. Makes me feel sad for buying the oven. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. the cake turned out very well and sweetened your hubby's heart too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cake looks good.. Steamed chocolate cake is actually very nice.. If got chocolate chips added inside the batter and also topped with chocolate sauce, it looks and taste exactly like those baked ones.. I realize any steamed cakes, if add chocolate chips inside and then topped with chocolate sauce, sure win-win and nice-nice one! But your one with dusted sugar and chocolate rice also very nice, looks very moist and good leh..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to know that he likes the cake and ate 2 slices! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just had chocolate lava cake today ..... ok, enough, no more chocolate cakes for me...hahaha...
    SO, this post won't tempt me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Indeed is very moist. Must very rich and delicious. I love chocolate cake! Anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's really cool and sweet of you Yannie to give him a cake that you personally baked... gosh I wish I can bake too.. I saw a lot of tutorials on Youtube but they are just too hard for me to follow haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. These days the grandma's steam cakes are making a come back with innovative recipes!
    I won't be surprised some shops will start selling steamed birthday and wedding cakes soon.

    Your cake decorations looked good when the cake was sliced.
    It was filled with all your love and sweat that Jin Jin was happy to eat more slices.
    What a happy hubby and papa.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you decorated the cake - it looks awesome! :)

    I recognize some of the items too e.g. the white chocolate / milk chocolate kisses and the colorful thousands and thousands. I think it really elavates the steamed chocolate cake. It looks really delicious too, your husband is lucky to have you and I'm sure he appreciates it. I love it when my better half bakes for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Yannie, this steamed moist cake is one of the best. Yours look very nice, well done. You are now a very good in baking, keep up the good job. Nice decoration.

    Have a nice weekend,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete