The last 5 days and the first 5 days

10:44 Yannie 31 Comments

Let me summary the last five days in the year of the Goat and the first five days in the year of Monkey in one post. Beware of the many pictures that may slow down the loading of this page.

This year, I was very last minute in baking CNY cookies. I didn't have time to bake, but I must bake. I didn't want to buy cookies because CNY cookies were getting expensive these days.

I bookmarked a few simple CNY cookies recipes. One of them is cornflakes chocolate chip cookies.
They didn't look good but they tasted not bad.
First time baking coffee bean cookies. They turned out good actually.
I mixed 3 in 1 Nescafe with Milo. 
I baked Nestum cookies two times. Therefore I still have many left over today.
Nestum cookies tasted too sweet for my liking.
Due to praying purpose, I steamed 鸡蛋糕(Ji Dan Gao) with the basket that I bought from Sarawak.
I plan to steam this cake again this coming praying to Jade Emperor on Monday night.
April took part in 挥春比赛(Fai Chun Competitions)  that held outside and inside the school. She won herself consolation prize in the competitions. 
These are April's masterpiece and I saved $$$ in buying 春联(Spring Festival Couplet). 
Just a couple of days before CNY, I received gifts from ah boy.
Thank you, SK for these wonderful gifts.
My best friend in Penang, Su In  sent me some goodies from Mark&Spencer, pineapple tarts, Monkey coin bank and Pooh bear chocolates. Ah Hua gave me a diamond shape mandarin oranges holder, which I placed next to the Monkey coin bank.
Thank you ladies for your kind gesture and thoughts. Friends forever. 
A few days before CNY, I came back home from office and found the long list of movie tickets that my husband went and bought ahead of the movie date. They went and watched another one when I went to work yesterday.
12 tickets in a row for 3 movies. I recommended you watching Ola Bola. 
We are blessed to have my MIL. She cooked 8 dishes every year on Chinese New Year's eve.
These are the dishes we had on CNY's eve as our dinner at my PIL's house. 
We had these dishes as our lunch on CNY's eve too. 
MIL prepared these dishes to pray to ancestor on altar table at our house.

One family portrait before leaving home to PIL's house on CNY day 1.
We were using our CASIO selfie camera that we bought from Japan.
At my PIL's house.
They are all my in-law family members, aunties and uncles in law. 
April and May's CNY costumes.
They seldom carry bags, but they sure remember to carry one on CNY, You know why?
Gathering with my colleagues. 
Eat and drink, talk and laugh.
Gathering with my secondary schoolmates. 

Catch up once a year. I actually wish to catch up more with them.
Dinner with my siblings and their families.
After so long since both my parents went to a better place, we were re-united that evening.
April went for a dance performance at a CNY dinner at a club. 
Hairdo was done by hair studio (school appointed) and makeup was done Mak Yannie.
I started working already on day 4 CNY. I actually wish to stay in CNY mood longer, but the realistic world is not allowed me to do so.
My breakfast in the office was a cup of Nescafe with "not so laku" Nestum cookies.
One more week to end the CNY celebration. Folks, keep up your good mood. Just be happy, wokay! 

31 comments:

  1. Nice! I love cornflakes cookies, they're so crunchy and slightly salty and tastes soooo good. I bought two tubs but they're just plain ones, not like yours with chocolate. Yours looks delicious! :)

    That's a really nice shape, the coffee bean cookies. The only ones I've seen like that are peanut shaped cookies.

    April and May, those are really nice names. I love names based on calendar months like June, April, May. Your daughter April looks nice in her CNY outfit for the dance performance. I hardly see people wearing costumes like that nowadays, there's an old video of Alisan people where they wore something like this too.

    Hmm...are the bags for keeping ang pows? Gong Xi Fatt Chai Yan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huai Bin, smart you! It is for keeping ang pow la! Thanks for the greetings and thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Wahhhhhh!!! April's so pretty, all dolled up. Big gurl now.

    OMG!!! Sooooooo many cookies!!! Good grief! I love Nestum cookies - I got my missus to make some...just for me. My girl - she loves the mum's cheese cookies - but that's not my favourite, salty. And so much food too!!!

    I wanted to see Ola Bola too but when I was free to go, it was not showing anymore. Such films don't last very long here. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started to clear most of the cookies. Hopefully i don't gain weight by having them as my breakfast.

      I guess Ola Bola is going to last for one month in the cinema here. I hope you can get a DVD of that movie.

      Delete
  3. Gong Xi Fa Cai! I love nestum cookies, please send some my way, thanks! Looks like you have a fruitful CNY. Wow, I have never seen so many movie tickets. The Pooh bear chocolates look so cute! April is so talented, to write such beautiful Fai Chun. You are also talented to do makeup for April. Once again, Gong Xi Fa Cai! May this be a great year for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, thanks for your kind thoughts and compliment. It is always happy to have you dropping by.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twilight Man14 February 2016 at 12:26
    So many types of cookies! You are so strong willed as I have guessed and you really baked and steamed so many things for CNY. I am attracted to this coffee bean cookies as they are new to me and looked like real coffee beans.

    I also like all the happy gatherings you had with family and friends. All my life , I have worked for over 15 companies and never had CNY gatherings with office colleagues. I could see that your office colleagues are very different like own family members who celebrate all occasions together! This is priceless friendship!

    Mak Yannie is also expert in make up now. Your daughter's face looked natural and nice for the dance. My wife went to get a cert for bridal make up just for fun and later received orders to do bridal and dinner make ups for friends. They paid her Ang Pau because they saved so much for the professional bridal make up fees but the Ang Pau was very big to me. Mak Yannie can go take the cert too as you have very good colourimg sense already. Big returns awaits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anay, I myself like the coffee bean cookies too. I will bake them again next CNY.

      Mak Yannie is not so expert in makeup la! Young girls are easier to doll up. Youth is priceless wert!

      Anay, thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. You seems to be so busy baking cookies and biscuits in the last 5 days before CNY but I guess the efforts are all worth it. YOu seems to have a great CNY and your girls are pretty!!

    Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, the effort of baking cookies has now turned into the effort of running to shed fat of eating too many cookies. Sigh!

      Delete
  7. Wow, Yannie baked so many cookies! All also I like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Coffee Bean and Cornflakes cookies. Nestum cookies are too sweet this time. Thanks Phong Hong for dropping by.

      Delete
  8. Your girls are growing up to be beautiful young girls. My girl also carrying bag during cny. To keep her ang pows. ^^

    You baked a lot this year.

    Yup. A week to go before Chap Goh Mei.

    Gong xi fa cai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I baked less compare to last year actually. I started baking quite late this year.
      Rose, thanks for kind words.

      Delete
  9. You still look so slim after having two girls.

    Gong Xi Fa Cai to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby, love to hear that compliment. But I put on weight 2 kg now. Cry.....buckets.

      Delete
  10. It is so nice that you are able to catch up with your schoolmates once a year. I don't as I don't live there anymore so each time they have a reunion in Sitiawan, I'll just be LIKING their pictures on FB while I am in Malacca :(

    Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your lovely family, Yannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to meet up once a year on day 1 CNY, before everyone leaves hometown again on the second day. Merryn, thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  11. Good morning Yannie and Gong Xi Fa Cai to you & family. I'm back to work today, and I feel like a newbie reporting to work on the first day.. Just to leave my footprints here first.. Oooo, I spotted those yummy food! I like the fried fish, white-cut chicken, prawns, and soup! A must if got kids - sik farn lou thong..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, kids must have soup. My kids too can't eat without soup. Thanks for dropping by Princess Ribbon.

      Delete
  12. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family. Love all your biscuits you have made. I like the Nescafe cookies you made and shaped like coffee beans leh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angeline, I myself like those coffee beans cookies too. It is indeed yummy too. Thanks for dropping by, Angeline.

      Delete
    2. Now I know that we must live in Taiping. People more friendly and share everything lah. SK hear me??? Let's move.

      Delete
  13. Gong Xi Fatt Chai Yannie and family

    Cookies doen;t look nice but taste good kira very good already lor. Me no talent in baking. end up both also K.O.

    Very "Yit Lau: wor. The girls looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meow, you sure you no talent in baking. I see you baking and cooking so well nowadays. Thanks for your compliment.

      Delete
  14. what a nice write-up for your CNY celebration, short and sweet yet covers the last 5 days before CNY and the first 5 days of the CNY.. if i'm going to write something like this, maybe just one fifth of yours, because really got nothing special that happened for me, hahahahaha, what a dull life!! :D

    Yannie is/was back to baking again, look at those cookies, sure good for CNY huh?? i bet you have all of them chucked into the stomaches of your guests already?? hehehe.. you are most welcome for those gifts.. and actually the most attractive ones would have to be those really cute Pooh cookies from Su In, nice!!!

    JAMY watched so many movies during CNY, and JJ was really unbelievable!! he bought the tickets in advanced and do not need to have headache to line up for the tickets during CNY.. Uncle SK also watched The Monkey King on Saturday, actually quite good and at least way better than my expectation, hehehe~~ :)

    Yannie was so busy and occupied during CNY.. she has got lots of gatherings to attend as well as preparing April for the dance performance.. like those dishes on the tables, they looked so so so delicious, and so different from the steamboat Uncle SK has been having every year for reunion dinner since the past 20 years, hahaha.. and also those very lovely peeps in the photos, what a big group!! :)

    it's the 8th day of CNY and Uncle SK just came back to work after more than a week off.. wishing JAMY a new year with an abundance of joy, happiness, health and wealth.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, where have you been for the past few days in CNY? You look like you were missing from the blog sphere. Anyway, you are back now.

      Monkey King is quite good, I agree. VegasMacau is the worst movie that I watched this CNY.

      Not many guest turned up, therefore Mak Yannie needed to clear those cookies on my own. I feel so fat now, sigh!

      Delete
  15. Huh? I got see wrongly anot? You call SK ah boy? Hahaha nice!

    I know I know, I know why the girls carry bags. I no need because my pants got many pockets that are quite deep hahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All single men can be addressed as Ah Boy, you also Ah Boy wert! Hehehehe!

      You carry a bag too, like those Ah Long's kind of sling bag, baru-lah gaya!

      Delete
  16. Such a wonderful and memorable celebration. Lots of good food too. Hey, you look very nice in this new hairstyle. I like it.

    ReplyDelete