A difficult decision

18:48 Yannie 25 Comments

Well, I had talked about the dilemma that we constantly facing in this "Studies or Sports" a few years ago. Again, this year we faced the same challenge.

In the most recent MSSPK ping pong competition, April was the champion of the under 12 female category, and May was the 5th position in the same category. This is also May's first year of getting herself into MSSM competition. April withdrew herself from MSSM that held in KL last year with the reason of the centralized training, which lasted for a week was too long for her to be absence from school. This year the MSSM is held in Kota Bharu, Kelantan.

The above pictures were taken after the final MSSPK games that held at Bidor, Perak last month. My husband and I were very proud of them for qualifying themselves into Ping Pong MSSM game. Their coach and school teacher are also very happy that they have brought medals and certificates back.

Following their winning, meaning we have to go to Kelantan in March school holiday. My husband called to book a hotel in KB, I went to submit leave for a week.

Before leaving for the national tournament, there will be a centralized training, the training is lasted for a week, and it is usually on weekdays. April has started to worry of the training date will be the same as her March exam date. Even if it is not her exam date, she also doesn't want to skip school for so many days. This September, she has to sit for her UPSR exam. Missing school and tuition are No No for her.

It is just so happen that the training date is their exam date. The school gave me several options:
1. Let the girls have exam earlier, then leave for the training.
2. Let the girls have exam later, which will be after the training ends.
3. Arrange to bring the exam papers to the ping pong training center in Ipoh, the girls have exam in the training center.

I disliked all of these options. To me, it is totally different to sit for the exam alone and sit for the exam together with the class. When sitting for the exam alone, they will miss out the important instructions that usually make known to the class right before or after the papers are distributed. I want them to sit for the exam in the right atmosphere and have the full concentration on the questions.

I talked to several parties that involved directly and also those not involved directly. Since there is no compromisation, we decided to quit ping pong national competition this time. I asked my husband to cancel the hotel reservation and I cancelled my leave submission.

April is very happy with my decision, she always loves studying more than sports. May has some degree of disappointment as this is her first year getting into the national game. I later convinced her that studying is her ultimate priority.

Frankly speaking, I did not have a peace of mind when the girls qualified themselves to the national game. My girls need to choose between skipping school to attend ping pong or quitting ping pong to focus on studies.

It is not easy to have the balance between studies and sports. In order to be good in sports, my girls need to skip school and tuition, and they will have lots of homework to catch up. In order to be good in studies, they have to sacrifice the time spent in training. I was stressed over this matter for a few weeks before I made my final decision.

After making the decision of letting go the participation, I feel so much relieved, so as all of us at home. Of course, the school and the coach are not very happy with my decision. 

25 comments:

  1. Option 4: Why not you guys do a better job organizing these trainings and competitions to fall on weekends and school holidays instead? Yannie (and I) are not very happy with your decisions to make the students having to sacrifice between studies and sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realgunners, exactly like what i told them. I told them the school and the organizer should do something. Every year the same problem. This kind of timing will put the students, the parents and even the teachers into pressure. Very bad arrangement.

      Delete
  2. True also what RG says. Why don't the organisers arrange the centralised training in such a way that it does not clash with the tests?

    Did you make this decision on your own or after a long discussion with your husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what RG mentioned too. This time, my husband left to me to decide and he remained quiet. After I decided, I just informed him my decision, and he just accepted without much comment.

      Delete
  3. Sigh. It is a tough decision to make but as long as you and the girls are happy about it then carry on. Move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Merryn, it is tough, but finally we decided and we moved on without even looking back. We are happy for not taking part this time.

      Delete
  4. Like last time during my College days, my schoolmates in the same ECA as me (Chinese Orchestra) were pondering we spend so much time on our practice and rehearsal, is it worth it since our main purpose and focus when come to college is to study and not our ECA, but I think it is not an easy decision as study is academics and sports can be character building etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I am dilemma. I see girls excelling in sports, I am proud of them, at the same time, I am worried that their studies will be affected.

      Delete
  5. Ask your girl which she prefers. She's smart, she can catch up easily, not a problem...that is, if she chooses to skip classes for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My elder prefers studying, my youngest wants both. I have to decide for them. I feel so stress each time they skip school.

      Delete
  6. Tough decisions. Frankly, I never like sports, and I will just happily stick to my studies, going to school, tuition and come home.. April has no issues with your decisions, I think by now, May also no issues already after you explained to her.. To be honest, I don't feel good having to take leave for a week from work..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some here, I prefer my children to be good in academy more than sports.Not many can become Dato LCW or Dato Nicol David, right? I have told my two girls, our priority is studying. When choosing between sports and study, still study is more important.

      Delete
  7. Since both girls are happy with the decision and I'm sure you and your hubby are happy too.
    Anyway they will get their next qualified training session next time. No worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have decided, everything is not a worry anymore, I just want my girls to be concentrated in their studies.

      Delete
  8. i think the school is supportive enough to offer three options and they have done their best in accommodating special requests, and i do not think there is anything to worry about having the girls take special exams.. anyway, the decision is still with the parents, and most importantly it's what the girls prefer the most that counts.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely, being a parent, I think I have the right to decide for them. I have talked to them how I feel and what I think. They accepted my decision finally.

      Delete
  9. I would have made the same decision as you because to me, studies is more important. It's good that your girls accepted the decision though May was a bit disappointed. But I feel that the organizer should have planned the time much better. Surely for school kids, their studies should not be interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, this is what I think too. In order not to trouble anyone to compromise with my arrangement, we quit. I guess this is the best solution for everyone, and the organize can move on with their training schedule too.

      Delete
  10. If I am at your position, I think I will make the same decision too. Anyhow my elder girl is very stubborn,sometimes it's just hard for me to talk to her once she insisted on something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to juggle between sports and study. In order to be good in one field, we have to let go another field. I have hammered into their mind that studying is more important than sports.

      Delete
  11. They have earned many prizes and recognition for their excellence in sports. Everyone will remember their achievement for a long time even when the kids become adults. I may not be a parent myself but your pretty & adorable kids are always in my thoughts too, as I share all their happiness and success with you & hubby. If they feel pressured over the sports competition and worry about studies, it would be good to focus on studies for now. The school might learn from this bad timing and hopefully reschedule all the future exams to suit the students! Why not?? Yannie really means business and put your foot down at them. I really salute your wisest determination. They didn't know that Yannie is the Queen of Bukit Larut. Wakakaka

    Now I recall back when I was a student, I never participated in sports at competition levels. I used to admire my friends who stood on the podium to collect trophies and medals. Sadly, most of them are not enjoying a good career today. Those very quiet nerds and morons in my school are often appearing in the business news today! Karma rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anay, you spot on! Yannie is firm when she makes decision. I don't allow myself to be in dilemma for long. I will firm up my mind as soon as possible. Many times, Yannie will listen to her heart for any tough decision. Many times, no regret and no turning back.

      Delete
  12. A difficult decision. Really dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was over, and the competition was over too. As expected, Perak team came back empty handed. Thank Goodness that my daughters didn't sacrifice their time spent study.

      Delete
  13. It's a good decision because in the end, your girls are happy not to take part as studies are more important to them.

    ReplyDelete