Stop and smell the roses

16:24 Yannie 13 Comments

My 12 year old and my 10 year old have a lot of homework from school. Averagely, they have about 5 to 6 homework every day. Other than school homework, they have tuition homework too. Besides, they also have some art work such as drawing and coloring, as well as computer assignment and project which keep them busy right after school until evening. 

Then, they will have to quickly have their dinner and rush to tuition class. By the time they come back from tuition, I can see my two girls more tiring than me, who just finished running 9KM. 
Even there is no tuition, they have to do their own revision. I pity them. My heart is aching seeing them having such a busy life at such young age.

April has been pestering me to take her for an evening swim due to the very hot weather these few weeks. I dare not promise as I see them having piles of homework to finish in a day. 

Today, they told me that they have lesser homework. They can finish the homework by the time I reach home from work.  They have no tuition this evening too. They want to have a time off from their revision. I said OK. 


I will take them for a swim after dinner. I hope that they can have a relaxing time in the pool and I believe that swimming can help release their tension.  

Busy mom and busy kids are going to stop and smell the roses. We are going to soak ourselves in jacuzzi besides swimming, after that I will drive through McD and get them the McChicken as supper. We can also catch up a little before bedtime and calling it a day. 


I like this above wisdom quote very much. I put it here in this post to remind myself for being a better mom. 

13 comments:

  1. No worries, you have been a very good mummy! You know when to pamper them when necessary. You even brought them to luxury cruise & holiday in Seoul and Tokyo at such young age! I was not so pampered at that age! Hee hee! So they know that they worked and studied hard for just 11 years at school and JY would always bring them for holidays!

    Time has really changed and this generation of kids have so much more activities and text books to handle compared to our days (or just my days?)..... Malaysian parents are generally more relaxed compared to other kiasu countries where parents suffer all the time trying to compare notes and results of their kids.

    The quote is a wise reminder and I suggest that you paste it behind your toilet door too!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet reminder...my younger in Primary 5 seems to have more homework than her elder sister whom is in Senior one right now..they do need times to relax and unwind..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all of you have had a good time swimming this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have a break once in a while. Just like you love working out, your girls needed the adrenaline rush too.

    I bring the boys to the playground every evening so that they can play football with the neighbourhood kids. It is good to sweat it out. They feel fresher after each playground session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, times have changed. Kids these days seem so very busy, school work, all the activities, tuition...hardly any quality time with the family. I seemed so very free when I was small or maybe I was not one of those top in the class students nor was I very active in sports and stuff, so lazy. Hehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, I always think we mummies no need be so "zhap jeok".. I feed my kids McD and Pocky sticks.. Some mummies, this cannot that cannot, no salt sugar soy sauce in kids' meals, no TV, no Youtube. Ermmm, for me, I need my sanity too, so doing all the mentioned in moderation is no harm lor I think.. I tapau dinner twice a week, McD on weekends sometimes and Youtube every night for about 45 minutes so that I can prepare dinner+do house chores after I come back from work..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya, I notice kids these days are so very busy compared to my time. I see my niece and nephew having so many tuition classes even on Sunday. Pity them. Must relax a bit lah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pitt the kids nowaday. So many homework and after school activities. My girl told me that she does not want any more enrolmemt as she has tuition, arts, swimming and piano class. Very stress, she said!

    Not only kids are stress, even the parents are stressed too. My 7 yo boy has quite a school work to do but luckily no complaint from him although he is taking his sweet time to do amidst the tuition and weekly spelling etc.

    It is good to let them relax and do the things they love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Other than academics, character building is also important, such as building up their confidence and determination, academics is from books whereas character building can be from activities such as taking part in competitions

    Sometimes it is good to have a break and relax a bit if not will be too stress for them

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids too, they have load of homeworks even in primary school! I was just talking to another parent where his kids are same school as my kids. I guess he schools are trying too hard for academic excellence till they forgot about other important aspects in life like EQ and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes our kids are really pitiful. It's non-stop studying and doing homework from the moment they wake up till bedtime. Sometimes I wonder if they really enjoy their school years. Why can't our education system be like those in US/Canada or Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes our kids are really pitiful. It's non-stop studying and doing homework from the moment they wake up till bedtime. Sometimes I wonder if they really enjoy their school years. Why can't our education system be like those in US/Canada or Europe?

    ReplyDelete